Chevron Embellishment Help

Decorating By ch5964 Updated 22 Mar 2014 , 1:10am by BeesKnees578

ch5964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ch5964 Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 1:14pm
post #1 of 5

Good Morning 

I have a wedding cake to do in May and Bride would like the middle tier( 8" square ) to be a yellow chevron over buttercream.

What do you all suggest for creating the Chevron pattern?

Would you use fondant wax paper method; or sugar sheets?

And for those using sugar sheets; can you recommend sheets that do not crack? The last ones I used cracked horribly instead of melding into the buttercream. 

Thanks for your help :)

Cathy

4 replies
lcubed83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcubed83 Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 2:00pm
post #2 of 5

I just recently purchased the Craftsy class by Jessica Harris that does the chevrons.  She uses Modeling Chocolate with the wax paper transfer method.  I haven't tried it yet, but have already learned so many things from that class!

Wrapped-Xpressions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wrapped-Xpressions Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 2:20pm
post #3 of 5

I would try the Jessica Harris method. My experience with sugar sheets is that they always crack and it's hard to line them up good on buttercream. If you have to adjust them at all it messes up the buttercream under it.

Another option could be to stencil it. Most hobby stores have various stencils or you could order one online and play with it before the wedding. With a stencil you could use buttercream, royal icing or airbrush.

ch5964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ch5964 Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 2:07am
post #4 of 5

Hi Linda

I watched part of Jessica's tutorial . But did she use modeling chocolate or fondant?? 

Thanks so much

Cathy

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 22 Mar 2014 , 1:10am
post #5 of 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by ch5964 

Hi Linda

I watched part of Jessica's tutorial . But did she use modeling chocolate or fondant?? 

Thanks so much

Cathy

LOL...I watched it the other day and actually posted the same question for her. Hope this helps!

Brooke111773 posted on Mar 14, 2014:

You keep mentioning fondant, but are you using the 50/50 mix? If not, I am wondering how you keep the fondant pieces from cracking when bending around the sides of the round cakes? I am sorry if someone has already asked this or you already mentioned it!

Jessica Harris responded:

I'm so sorry! I do mix up my words sometimes...and here because I use both. The mint is fondant and the rest is modeling chocolate. You can use a mixture of MC and fondant...I do it all the time. The circumference on the cake is such that there isn't a lot of bending around the cake. So, I don't get a lot of cracking. You do want to use your pieces pretty soon after you've cut them. I cut mine and keep them under plastic wrap or in a zip lock bag until I'm ready to use them. Have fun!! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%