Buttercream Recipe That Uses Stick Margarine

Baking By DecoAddict Updated 20 Mar 2014 , 3:25pm by AnnieCahill

DecoAddict Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoAddict Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 11:26pm
post #1 of 5

AI want to try to use stick Margarine (Imperial to be specific) in my next Buttercream Frosting. I have normally used Buttercream Dream because it works for decorating too. I'm not doing anything fancy, just a swirl on top of cupcakes and maybe shell border on a cake.

Since learning cake decorating, I've learned to but Crisco shortening into the frosting. Growing up, my mom used powdered sugar, 2 TABLESPOONS (yes, only 2 Tbsp.) of margarine, and alittle milk. Nothing really measured. Oh, and some chocolate that came in a tube that you warmed up in a little glass of hot water. 8-) It was yummy frosting but I don't know how it would be to decorate with.

So, does anyone have a good recipe that uses stick margarine in place of Butter?

What IS the purpose of the Crisco? Can you get away without using it?

Thanks!

4 replies
morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 5

AYes you can! Crisco is used because PPl say it makes the frosting fluffier or something. & also for the heat, shortening has a higher melting point than butter.

I personally don't like the stuff and use all butter. They've taken the trans fats out of crisco so it's useless now anyway.

Just curious, why do you want to use margarine instead of butter?

DecoAddict Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoAddict Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 11:48pm
post #3 of 5

AThanks for the quick reply. I'd like to use Margarine for one, the cost - way cheaper. I'm in IL and it's 79 cents for a 4 pack of margarine vs. $3.29 for a 4 pack of butter.

And, I grew up with Margarine and not butter so I'm not a big Butter fan. Just looking for something that works well for decorating as well as tastes good.

When I took cake decorating class and found out there was Crisco in frosting, I got ill. I couldn't believe we are eating a lump of grease/shortening like that. Just seems yucky - although it does taste good. LOL. I don't see margarine/butter in that same light as you don't smear Crisco on your toast. LOL

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 2:40am
post #4 of 5

AWell you could definitely try it! If you prefer that flavor. I really don't see why it wouldn't work

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 5

The owner of the bakery where I took cake decorating classes 15 years ago used a margarine and shortening combo for their icing.  From what I've heard, the Land O Lakes margarine is supposed to be decent.  I will probably never try it, though.

I think for some, using shortening serves a few purposes:

a) it cuts down on the cost of the recipe

b) it cuts down on the "buttery" flavor of buttercream (lol)

c) it can stabilize the icing so it won't melt down in summer heat

I do all butter as much as possible but I will put a very small amount of shortening in the recipe if the cake will be in the heat for an extended period of time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%