How Do I Pack And Ship Fondant Figurines In The Uk

Decorating By keepsakefondant Updated 19 Mar 2014 , 9:50am by keepsakefondant

keepsakefondant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keepsakefondant Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 8:58am
post #1 of 6

AHi everyone, i am new to this pasge and business too. I am making fondant figurines and now i have just got a first order but i do not know how to pack and ship it in the Uk. Have everyone had experiences please help me please? How should I pack the toppers? Where should I get the food packaging supplies? Any advice about fondant toppers are much appreciated. Thank you very much.

5 replies
Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 9:19am
post #2 of 6

Hi,

I don't ship anything but I'm wondering how you are taking orders for shipping stuff if you do not know how to do it or even more importantly how much everything will cost? the packaging, time and shipping? 

Pls don't take this the wrong way (as others are wrought to), I mean this well. You need to work out all that stuff before advertising.

All the best

keepsakefondant Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 9:35am
post #3 of 6

AThanks for your reply. I don't ship anything normally as my friends used to pick them up but as there are some problem at her side and she cannot travel. I made her figurines and now she asked me if i could post it to her due to her accident and can not travel as plan :(. Hence i seek for advice. Well my business is for hobby at the moment and only charge for the materials for friends and charity sector whom i voluntary for.

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 9:40am
post #4 of 6

AAside from the above which is very pertinent, would you maybe post a pic of the sort of things you are hoping to mail out as there are two main selling points that will trade off against each other: edible vs intricate.

If you need them to be edible I would go for small dumpy non-intricate figures with internal supports made only from spaghetti, too thin and spindly and these will easily break in transit. You can buy sweet bags by the 100s on ebay, pop a food safe silica packet inside, seal up and then pack well with normal packing materials like soft paper and packing peanuts.

If detail is your main selling point you will need to sell your toppers as non edible and use wood and wire internal supports, or even better use polymer clay. These can be wrapped in anything although a food safe base wrapped in a food safe wrapper would be a good system.

Be prepared for breakages, maybe include a little repair kit or a tube of super glue for the inedible ones? And always post insured! I would also make sure customers know these are fragile and that going to a local baker might be safer if they aren’t prepared to risk having to do a self repair.

Best of luck and good luck with the business! :-)

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 9:48am
post #5 of 6

Ah ok, good luck;-D

keepsakefondant Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 9:50am
post #6 of 6

AThank you so much. I really appreciate your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%