Fastening Large Gum Paste Figures To Fondant Covered Cake...?

Decorating By MrsLizakowski Updated 22 Mar 2014 , 10:19pm by MrsLizakowski

MrsLizakowski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsLizakowski Posted 18 Mar 2014 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 10

A[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3206538/width/350/height/700[/IMG] I have experience with gum paste figures but I'm facing a plight with my latest project:

I was commissioned by my sister-in-law to make a "Yo Gabbo Gabbo" cake for her daughter's 1st birthday (anyone here ever hear of that show? I neither have children nor watch television, so I had to do my research)

Anyway, back to the issue at hand: I've molded the characters using a 50/50 gum paste/fondant mix, reinforced with toothpicks. I feel these are too large and heavy for the cake, which I've not yet made. It will either be a square two tiered (10" base, 6" topper) or a round two tiered (9" base, 6" topper) covered in fondant either route I go. The characters range from 3" to 6" in height.

Which is the best approach to adhere the figures to the cake? I do have edible glue I made from dried bits of gum paste dissolved in water (just another trick I learned from cake central forums ;) but it is not as quick setting as I would like.

Should I be concerned about the figures sinking in the cake?

Any advice is welcomed and appreciated.

9 replies
MrsLizakowski Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 2:48am
post #2 of 10

ABump...

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 3:06am
post #3 of 10

AI would put them in at the last minute into a well refrigerated cake.

I'm sure you don't want them all flat-backed against the cake, otherwise I would suggest at little melted chocolate.

As far as sinking...you will definitely have trouble if you are using buttercream. It sounds like you are using fondant though, since you mentioned the gum glue. Can you try removing the tooth picks and inserting sucker sticks without damaging them? That way they can go all the way down thru the cake to the cake board - they shouldn't sink then.

They're great, btw.

musicmommy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
musicmommy1 Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 3:18am
post #4 of 10

Hi MrsLiz- Definitely familiar with Yo Gabba Gabba over here. Maybe a bit too familiar!!! LOL You're figurines are great!!!

I can't tell how large the figures are from your picture but they don't look overly big. I would suggest putting a bit of melted chocolate on the bottom of their feet or maybe a little royal icing before standing them on your cake.

If you feel they are really too big and heavy, it may not be too late to pull the toothpicks out a bit more. I have had some success in doing that in the past. If they come out easily, you might be able to fill the hole a bit with some royal icing, put the toothpicks back in but allow more of the toothpick to stick out (so you have more to anchor into the cake). Allow them to dry 12-24 hours and apply to your cake. I wouldn't pull the toothpick to hard for fear of cracking your characters but they may slide out relatively easily. You could add the chocolate/icing for extra support too.

Anyway, that's what I would try. Others may have some different suggestions. I hope this helps :-D

MrsLizakowski Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 2:24pm
post #5 of 10

ABeesknees and musicmommy: thank you for your helpful response. Since you both suggested melted chocolate, I think that's probably what I'll use. Yes the cake will be fondant covered and you both stressed the importance of having longer stakes (toothpicks) even using lollipop sticks, that gave me the idea to use skewers! You've both been a great help and I appreciate your timely replies, as the cake is due by Saturday afternoon. Thank you both!

MrsLizakowski Posted 22 Mar 2014 , 8:00pm
post #6 of 10

A[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3208638/width/350/height/700[/IMG] Thanks you two! I couldn't have managed without your advice!

Princess M Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Princess M Posted 22 Mar 2014 , 8:38pm
post #7 of 10

Nice work..

musicmommy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
musicmommy1 Posted 22 Mar 2014 , 8:54pm
post #8 of 10

Hey MrsLiz!

Your cake came out adorable!! You're figurines are all so cute. I think Plex (the yellow one) may be my favorite:-D Great job. Glad we were able to help you out!!!

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 22 Mar 2014 , 9:18pm
post #9 of 10

AYes...great job!!

And you're welcome!

MrsLizakowski Posted 22 Mar 2014 , 10:19pm
post #10 of 10

AThanks, everyone! :D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%