Attack Of The "cheap Cake Ladies" Vent.

Business By Mybearsbaby Updated 24 Mar 2014 , 11:56am by swtangel102

Mybearsbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mybearsbaby Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 5:31pm
post #61 of 105

AWe don't have Prada or the like in my small town, but we do have boutiques and the like that charge 2-3 times more than what Walmart or JC Penney or such would for clothing, and I figure it is kinda the same analogy. I still go there if I want a unique one of a kind, special outfit that I know I can't/won't ever find at a regular "cheaper" retailer...and I know that I will have to pay more. Sure, I can get a shirt at Kmart, and I do shop at such stores(believe it or not, I'm a thrifty shopper and like a bargain as much as the next person), but if I need something of quality, I know to usually look elsewhere and expect the price difference.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 5:59pm
post #62 of 105

AI'm a cheapskate with most things in general, other than what I use for my cakes. I don't skimp on that stuff. But for my personal needs, I'm very frugal. I have one vice: Dunkin Donuts coffee. I can't brew anything else, and my household goes thru about $100 worth in a month. Eh, it's my one luxury. :D

Annie8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annie8 Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 6:10pm
post #63 of 105

There are definitely more and more people who embraced the art of caking once it became popular on Food Network, Cake Boss, etc.  I got started a little bit before that wave and have been doing it ever since.  I enjoy it.  I try to pick projects I find interesting and clients I like working with and who appreciate what I can bring to the table.  I never try to low-ball another cake artist or even the big box stores because it seems like such a tacky and awful thing to do.  Would I want someone to do that to me? Heck no, so why would I do that to someone else!  

The bad thing is I think when people take these low bids, they end up often getting a cake they don't like or are disappointed in and then you see it on Cakewrecks or as an article on the news.  It gives the cake industry a bad name and I often wonder if it makes people reluctant the next time they place an order to take a chance on a custom cake shop or home-based cake shop.  

I sometimes am amazed when someone sends me a cake for inspiration and it's poorly made.  I wonder how did they find that pretty!  I have lost cake orders because someone found a cheaper place to have it made, but I've also had people pick me even though my wedding cake price was $300 more than someone else when they looked at my range and listened to how I determined my cost.  

We all have to value our art and be confident in what we charge.  It's more than just ingredients, there's talent and artistic value to what we do.  Not to mention the investment you've made in your cake education!

Mybearsbaby Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 6:14pm
post #64 of 105

A

Original message sent by AZCouture

I'm a cheapskate with most things in general, other than what I use for my cakes. I don't skimp on that stuff. But for my personal needs, I'm very frugal. I have one vice: Dunkin Donuts coffee. I can't brew anything else, and my household goes thru about $100 worth in a month. Eh, it's my one luxury. :D

I know whatcha mean! . I think we all have that "one thing"...and there is nothing wrong with that IMO! I coupon and scrimp and save all year so I can travel. That's my one thing I guess. I usually take a cruise with my hubby and our son once a year. But I am very thrifty for the most part the whole year so that we can go. (Except for the occasional visit to the boutique...which is usually on my birthday. :D ;)

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 6:28pm
post #65 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar 

Oh, I have a list of bakers I don't like who I send PITAs to. :twisted:

And the cheapos do it for "fun" and for the pats on the back, because they get all kinds of compliments from people no matter what the cake looks like. That makes people feel fancy and special and they like it, so they continue on. I've gotten flack from other decorators who seem to think that If I'm doing cakes as a business and not because "it's my passion" (it's not) I should be ashamed of myself...dude, it's a business, and I run it as a business, so sorry if I don't sit around feeling like a pretty princess who needs my ego stroked because I made a cake. When I can pay my bills with compliments I'll be concerned about that. All I'm worried about now is whether the customers like the cake they paid for, and really, that should be the focus of every business if you want to be profitable.

Finally an explanation. I think some are also making a little money but they don't realize how little.

When I see baking is my passion comments, I just think well, if you're serious about quitting your day job, you better develop a passion for marketing, sales and general day to day drudgery, too.

AZCouture Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 6:32pm
post #66 of 105

AAnd baked with love. I don't want my cake baked with love. Keep your love out of it. Put professionalism in, great skill, and top shelf ingredients. That's all I want in my cake, please. :D :D

AZCouture Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 6:40pm
post #67 of 105

AI do love what I do, I'm so happy I get to do this for a living. I am very passionate about experimenting and trying new techniques, meeting new clients, designing a cake for an excited bride, I love all of that. But I'm equally passionate about making a decent income as well as keeping up with the other business requirements. The not so fun stuff. If you want to be successful, you have to balance everything just right.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 6:40pm
post #68 of 105

AI really don't get why it's so hard to see this as a business. If you want to have fun just do it as a hobby. All this timidness, and "I'm not good enough".. That's for the birds. (Aka it's nonsense).

You are doing it to make money. Sure we all love cakes. But money is the motive. Stop being a baby and star being a business person. And that's directed to anybody who's acting timid, and making excuses.Certainly not the OP.

Now before I get jumped on for being mean go look at my other posts in other threads to see my history, I'm not mean, the above is said with as much love as possible.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 6:41pm
post #69 of 105

Quote:

And the cheapos do it for "fun" and for the pats on the back, because they get all kinds of compliments from people no matter what the cake looks like. That makes people feel fancy and special and they like it, so they continue on. I've gotten flack from other decorators who seem to think that If I'm doing cakes as a business and not because "it's my passion" (it's not) I should be ashamed of myself...dude, it's a business, and I run it as a business, so sorry if I don't sit around feeling like a pretty princess who needs my ego stroked because I made a cake. When I can pay my bills with compliments I'll be concerned about that. All I'm worried about now is whether the customers like the cake they paid for, and really, that should be the focus of every business if you want to be profitable.

Quote:

they're just in it so that they can post a picture on facebook and have people tell them "you're so talented!" No matter that the people telling them that are probably their mother and their best friends, they just like the attention. They're doing cakes for the attention, not because it's a real business for them.

I have nothing to add, except SPOT ON. ;-D

Quote:

Originally Posted by KELROY 

I can relate to your points of view...However, not everyone has access to all of your beautiful fine bakeries. Many many many people live in the boonies, with nothing more than a Safeway within 40 miles. We "hicks" like to partake in cake decorating also, and I would like to think I can bring some of the big city to small town birthday parties, baby showers, weddings and anniversaries. I have no one to lowball or to step on, but still feel hurt that your businesses are hurt by the home baker. I did not know CC was for pro's only.

????????????????

Quote:

Originally Posted by KELROY 

I AM a hick who lives in the Boonies and I am reading pro's v home baker woes.....I responded in kind to point out locations without bakeries. I thought I could shed some insight into some home bakers pricing and lack of bakery venues. I guess I was wrong.

Um, I'm a home baker. That has no bearing on my pricing. We used to have a storefront, and recently moved our business home under cottage food law. We have not lowered our prices since we made that move.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 

And baked with love. I don't want my cake baked with love. Keep your love out of it. Put professionalism in, great skill, and top shelf ingredients. That's all I want in my cake, please. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Hahaha, eeewww, baked with love does sound kinda gross when you think about it.

teenaluiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teenaluiz Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 6:51pm
post #70 of 105

always strive to be the best not the cheapest! BTW love the reference to "cake hooker", funny!

howsweet Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 6:58pm
post #71 of 105

Whoa, I just reread my post - I wasn't quite awake yet, but I do still want to know about the strips ;) .

Mybearsbaby Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 7:07pm
post #72 of 105

A

Original message sent by teenaluiz

always strive to be the best not the cheapest! BTW love the reference to "cake hooker", funny!

:D

AZCouture Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 7:37pm
post #73 of 105

A

Original message sent by morganchampagne

I really don't get why it's so hard to see this as a business. If you want to have fun just do it as a hobby. All this timidness, and "I'm not good enough".. That's for the birds. (Aka it's nonsense).

You are doing it to make money. Sure we all love cakes. But money is the motive. Stop being a baby and star being a business person. And that's directed to anybody who's acting timid, and making excuses.Certainly not the OP.

Now before I get jumped on for being mean go look at my other posts in other threads to see my history, I'm not mean, the above is said with as much love as possible.

Couldn't agree more. It's just not a cutesy thing at all when some of us are relying on this to feed our families. Really, go sell healing oils, candles, or make soap if you need money. Otherwise, buck up, put your business face on, and show this business the respect it deserves by being professional in all areas.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 7:40pm
post #74 of 105

Yeah, I'm a professional home-based baker, which means that I'm a business that's based at home and I sell cakes to make a profit.

That's another thing that undercutters do, they tell themselves that they're not really a business because "I'm just starting out" or "I work from home so my expenses aren't as high and I should charge less" or "I love doing this so I don't expect to make very much but that's okay." Pffffffft.

Morganchampagne is right, anyone who tells themselves these things and wants to run a business needs to stop being a baby.

Arguing that there's a difference between "home bakers" and "businesses" muddies the waters because it isn't necessarily true, there's plenty of overlap and it doesn't define whether or not you'll make a profit. As far as that goes, there are plenty of storefronts that don't treat their businesses seriously and will eventually go bankrupt. There are also plenty of home bakers (myself included) who do take it seriously and who make a decent profit every year.

And I have access to Prada even though it isn't here in my city, I have this newfangled device they call the "internet."

costumeczar Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 7:44pm
post #75 of 105

Holy cow, I just looked up the median income in Richmond and it's only $38,000! Woweee woo woo. Now I feel rich, better go buy another purse. If anyone wants a code to get into the Coach outlet store online message me, but be warned, it's very dangerous!:wink:

Mybearsbaby Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 7:47pm
post #76 of 105

A

Original message sent by AZCouture

Couldn't agree more. It's just not a cutesy thing at all when some of us are relying on this to feed our families. Really, go sell healing oils, candles, or make soap if you need money. Otherwise, buck up, put your business face on, and show this business the respect it deserves by being professional in all areas.

;-D Agreed!

Original message sent by costumeczar

Yeah, I'm a [B]professional[/B] home-based baker, which means that I'm a business that's based at home and I sell cakes to make a profit.

That's another thing that undercutters do, they tell themselves that they're not [I]really[/I] a business because "I'm just starting out" or "I work from home so my expenses aren't as high and I should charge less" or "I love doing this so I don't expect to make very much but that's okay." Pffffffft.

Morganchampagne is right, anyone who tells themselves these things and wants to run a business needs to stop being a baby.

Arguing that there's a difference between "home bakers" and "businesses" muddies the waters because it isn't necessarily true, there's plenty of overlap and it doesn't define whether or not you'll make a profit. As far as that goes, there are plenty of storefronts that don't treat their businesses seriously and will eventually go bankrupt. There are also plenty of home bakers (myself included) who do take it seriously and who make a decent profit every year.

And I have access to Prada even though it isn't here in my city, I have this newfangled device they call the "internet."

;-D Yep!

AZCouture Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 8:06pm
post #77 of 105

AThank you Costume, excellently explained, as usual.

7031annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7031annie Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 10:21pm
post #78 of 105

just today I was asked about my cupcakes. I about fell off my chair when told that another lady in town quoted her $12.00 for 2 doz cupcakes with fondant animal faces. *sigh*

7031annie Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 10:22pm
post #79 of 105

and btw I looked at other ladies fb page and sure enough thats what she charges.

Mybearsbaby Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 10:26pm
post #80 of 105

A

Original message sent by 7031annie

just today I was asked about my cupcakes. I about fell off my chair when told that another lady in town quoted her $12.00 for 2 doz cupcakes with fondant animal faces. *sigh*

Holy cow!!!!!

AZCouture Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 10:46pm
post #81 of 105

Good grief. How do they look?

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 10:53pm
post #82 of 105

since we are playing "who lives in the lowiest town" i'd like to add that I live in Orange County, CA and we have everything! :grin:

it/s still struggle to get more than $45 for a plain 8 inch cake. However, jazz it up and now we're talking good business. 

but i have plenty of Coach bags because there's a fab outlet between my house and AZ's house...just sayin'

just in case anyone was wondering, Pittsburgh is suppose to be the cheapest retail market in country. 

these comments are apropos of nothing. i just had some time on my hands...

AZCouture Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 10:57pm
post #83 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellavanilla 

Oh I'm pretty sure it all started because of someone else's incoherent rambling. :roll:

Hey, I know the mall you're talking about, that place is killer!

7031annie Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 11:06pm
post #84 of 105

AShe doesn't have pictures up just price list AND she offers free delivery but list no statement of how far. I am almost at a loss of words.

Tina2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tina2002 Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 11:46pm
post #85 of 105

There is one lady work at home price her cakes on the website. Don't get me wrong. I support cake decorators that work at home, but I wonder how she does it. These price are lower than Publix cakes ( from Florida) :(

Buttercream iced cakes start at $2.50/serving
Fondant iced cakes start at $3.00/serving
3d carved cakes start at $4.00/serving

costumeczar Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 11:58pm
post #86 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellavanilla 

since we are playing "who lives in the lowiest town" i'd like to add that I live in Orange County, CA and we have everything! :grin:

it/s still struggle to get more than $45 for a plain 8 inch cake. However, jazz it up and now we're talking good business.

but i have plenty of Coach bags because there's a fab outlet between my house and AZ's house...just sayin'

just in case anyone was wondering, Pittsburgh is suppose to be the cheapest retail market in country.

I'm on the Coach outlet email list, so I get sale offers pretty much every other day...sooooo painful, most of the time I just delete them because if I go on there I can't help myself, the prices are TOO GOOD TO PASS UP!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7031annie 

She doesn't have pictures up just price list AND she offers free delivery but list no statement of how far. I am almost at a loss of words.

But she'll get paid in unicorn kisses and ego stroking when all of her friends on facebook tell her how talented she is, what a great artist she is, etc! Never mind that she's basically paying customers to take the cupcakes off of her hands...

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 12:57am
post #87 of 105

AIn Texas there's a huge mall in a town called San Marcos. My mom and I go twice a year and we Rip. It. Up. I love the outlet mall. There's a Gucci and a Fendi one there now too. I've since increased my budget lol. I also loooooove the coach outlet. They have such cure stuff that makes awesome gifts

Mybearsbaby Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 1:32am
post #88 of 105

A

Original message sent by costumeczar

I'm on the Coach outlet email list, so I get sale offers pretty much every other day...sooooo painful, most of the time I just delete them because if I go on there I can't help myself, the prices are TOO GOOD TO PASS UP!!! But [B]she'll get paid in unicorn kisses and ego stroking[/B] when all of her friends on facebook tell her how talented she is, what a great artist she is, etc! Never mind that she's basically paying customers to take the cupcakes off of her hands...

You crack me up! You have an awesomly quirky sense of humor and way with words! I love it! :D Unicorn kisses :D

howsweet Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 3:32am
post #89 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganchampagne 

I really don't get why it's so hard to see this as a business. If you want to have fun just do it as a hobby. All this timidness, and "I'm not good enough".. That's for the birds. (Aka it's nonsense).

Quote:

Yeah, I'm a professional home-based baker, which means that I'm a business that's based at home and I sell cakes to make a profit.

That's another thing that undercutters do, they tell themselves that they're not really a business because "I'm just starting out" or "I work from home so my expenses aren't as high and I should charge less" or "I love doing this so I don't expect to make very much but that's okay." Pffffffft.

Just quoting these statements because they deserve repeating. :D
AZCouture Posted 20 Mar 2014 , 4:20am
post #90 of 105

ASome people are truly under the delusion that likes and praise from fans and family on their Facebook pages is a sign of success. Nothing wrong with that, of course we all want people to appreciate our work and affirm that we have talent. Who wouldn't? But unless those same people are paying customers, putting your energy into being a super star on Facebook is a waste of time. I have 65,000 fans on my page. Are they buying cakes from me? Nope, only a couple of hundred are actually clients or personal friends, the rest are other decorators from around the world. Don't get me wrong, I love the interaction and meeting new people and finding new friends, but that fan count is not an indicator of great financial success, or that I must be the best around. I have a couple of friends in town that are wicked good decorators, one in particular who cleans my clock when it comes to really detailed flowery little projects. She's crazy amazing. Anyways, Facebook is more my personal playground more than anything, entertainment, at best.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%