Need Some Help With Buttercream

Decorating By smile22 Updated 16 Mar 2014 , 7:14pm by kblickster

smile22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smile22 Posted 16 Mar 2014 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 3

so i mostly do cupcakes but i started taking some wilton method cake classes at my local craft store so i can learn how to decorate a cake, i have my own methods of making buttercream but of course wilton has a recipe they swear by.

anyways this weeks class i have to bring in a cake and make some of there recipe buttercream as we are going to learn how to ice and decorate it.

the recipe calls for 1 cup of shorting

4 cups of powder sugar and clear imitation vanilla ( going to be hard for me as i only use madagascar pure vanilla extract)

so the instructor told us we could use a 50 50 blend of shorting and butter so its not so shortining tasting

2 sticks of butter is one cup so how would i measure out both the butter and shorting i would use a stick of butter but how would i figure out the shorting part

i would just rather make my own buttercream recipe but its a wilton class and it has to be done the way they want it

2 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 16 Mar 2014 , 5:43pm
post #2 of 3

Quote:

Originally Posted by smile22 
the recipe calls for 1 cup of shorting

so the instructor told us we could use a 50 50 blend of shorting and butter so its not so shortining tasting

2 sticks of butter is one cup so how would i measure out both the butter and shorting i would use a stick of butter but how would i figure out the shorting part

50% of 1 cup is 1/2 a cup -- measure a 1/2 cup.

kblickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kblickster Posted 16 Mar 2014 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 3

I weigh my high ratio shortening.  I use 7.2 ounces for a cup.  3.6 ounces would be a half a cup.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%