Wilton Soccer Ball - Why Is My Cake Raw In The Middle

Decorating By Shelioni Updated 31 Mar 2014 , 3:50pm by jdoochin23

Shelioni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelioni Posted 14 Mar 2014 , 9:35am
post #1 of 4

AI urgently need your assistance regarding the wilton soccer ball pan. I baked the cake in my oven (fan assisted) at 150 deg for more than 1 hour. The outer cake was over cooked and the middle remained raw. In my oven i cannot bake cakes with a temp more than 140 deg otherwise they overcook and my cupcakes peak. With temp 130-135 deg they come out perfectly

How can i bake the soccer ball without having a raw middle and overcooked sides .

Please please helpppppppppppppppppppppppppp

3 replies
zefron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zefron Posted 14 Mar 2014 , 12:18pm
post #2 of 4

Totally sympathise! I've had this problem more times than I can count! Going to try doing it with a chocolate pound cake recipe next, as I usually use a sponge recipe which is just too delicate for the ball pan.

One thing I've read in my quest for a perfect ball cake is the pan of water idea - put a pan of water at the bottom of the oven. It should lower the oven temperature and allow the core to bake through better. 

Hope that helps!

Shelioni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelioni Posted 14 Mar 2014 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 4

AI finally managed to bake it with 130deg fan assisted:D without burning the edges and the middle was cooked completely

jdoochin23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdoochin23 Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 3:50pm
post #4 of 4

Zefron, the pan of water idea is great. I've also had this problem, where the middle of the cake is raw. I'm going to try your technique next time. I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%