Amerimist Air Brush Colour Help

Decorating By Jennifer204 Updated 13 Mar 2014 , 10:48am by Jennifer204

Jennifer204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer204 Posted 13 Mar 2014 , 5:55am
post #1 of 5

Hi Guys,

I have a cake for Saturday that I;m working on & was intending using the Navy Blue Airbrush colour for the top tier in navy....but...on trialling it on some white fondant...its nothing like Navy...its more like a turquoise :(((((  I;m really stressing now as its going to take some time colouring white fondant with a mix of blue & black normal gel colours to get a navy....has anyone any experience of this colour please??  I have sprayed a 2nd coat & its not really got much darker...should I keep going (I won;t have any left for the real thing at this rate)...does anyone know if you do eventually get a navy colour??  Any help would be most appreciated.  Thanks so much.

4 replies
morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 13 Mar 2014 , 6:30am
post #2 of 5

AHuh. Interesting. I've used that color and it definitely was navy blue...nothing close to turquoise..it's it possible theres some other color in the airbrus mixing with it. ?

At any rate, americolor makes an awesome navy blue color and it doesnt take a whole lot

Jennifer204 Posted 13 Mar 2014 , 7:04am
post #3 of 5

Hi Morganchampagne (love the name)....thanks so much for your reply..youve given me some hope :)  Did you start off with white fondant?  Did you have to do several layers to get the navy?  Any hints or tips are soooooooooooo welcome!  Its going to be my first time on an actual cake (not a practise) so anything you can offer would be wonderful..thanks so much. Jen

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 13 Mar 2014 , 7:34am
post #4 of 5

AAww thanks!! And yes I started off with white..I always try to start with a light coat and build up, iy didn't really take long at all. It was dark! But it never looked like turquoise. .so I'm afraid im no help.there :(.

I actually like to just color the fondant with gel paste.To me, it just looks cleaner than airbrush. But airbrush can look good too if done right

Jennifer204 Posted 13 Mar 2014 , 10:48am
post #5 of 5

Thanks again,...I dont think there was any residue of another colour in there, but have cleaned it extra carefully & did notice that after doing a couple of layers on the practise piece of fondant it is definitely getting darker...its more of a metallic looking  blue though...it did start off almost a turquoisey kind of blue though....have decided not to chance airbrushing this tier tomorrow...going back to mixing black & blue together for my navy this time..didn;t want to risk anything going wrong..will have to try on another cake, maybe a family one, I know what  you mean about the coloured fondant looking cleaner...but maybe that comes with practise!!  Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%