Fondant

Decorating By preciousalwayz Updated 13 Mar 2014 , 10:44am by SweetShop5

preciousalwayz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preciousalwayz Posted 12 Mar 2014 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 5

ASo im new to the cake decorating world. I need some advice on how to roll out fondant. Because in the past I would roll out satin ice fondant and place it on a buttercreamed cake. But when I would go to cut a slice of cake the fondant would fall right off the slice of cake. But I'm thinking I would need to roll the fondant a little more but it would b too thin to place on the cake and the fondant will tear.

My other issue with fondant is that once I have the fondant on the cake and try to remove the extra hanging pieces of fondant at the bottom of the cake how do I make it look like I didnt just tear the fondant from the bottom because I use a tapered spatula. But that doesn't seem to make any difference.

Please help.

Thanks.

4 replies
DecoAddict Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoAddict Posted 12 Mar 2014 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 5

ATry using a pizza cutter to cut the fondant rather than the spatula. Is your buttercream still soft when you add the fondant? Sounds like maybe the buttercream hardened alittle and didn't let the fondant adhere too well.

preciousalwayz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preciousalwayz Posted 12 Mar 2014 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 5

AWhat I usually do is buttercream the cake a night before and place in the fridge overnight. Then in the morning roll out the fondant and take the cake out of the fridge and immediately place the fondant on the cake

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 13 Mar 2014 , 4:21am
post #4 of 5

Ahttp://cakecentral.com/t/768247/how-to-get-bottom-perfect

See this thread for the method I use for perfect bottoms

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 13 Mar 2014 , 10:44am
post #5 of 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by preciousalwayz 

What I usually do is buttercream the cake a night before and place in the fridge overnight. Then in the morning roll out the fondant and take the cake out of the fridge and immediately place the fondant on the cake

How does this work? I let the cake sit for 20 minutes and the buttercream becomes crusty and once I put the fondant on top it never sticks. I also noticed it makes air bubbles at the top of the cake. Do you put water before applying the fondant?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%