Looking For Opinions For A Cake Order This Weekend.

Decorating By Beck5540 Updated 12 Mar 2014 , 1:20am by kakeladi

Beck5540 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beck5540 Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 10:07pm
post #1 of 4

I am making a two tiered WASC cake for this Sunday for a family members bridal shower. I have to go out of town this weekend for another engagement so I will have to start and finish this cake wednesday/ thursday.

I would like some opinions on whether I should bake and freeze the cake wednesday evening and then decorate thursday evening.. Or for best freshness quality bake and decorate thursday..

I hate to let cakes set for more then a day and had I remember to make things on my calender I wouldn't have to make this cake so far ahead of the date need.

I'm a little concerned about the amount of moisture that may be added to the cake during freezing, may accelerate the rate at which the cake may spoil, especially since WASC is already a fairly moist cake..

Any suggestions appreciated  ! Thanks ! 

3 replies
Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 10:58pm
post #2 of 4

AI haven't baked that cake, but I have started baking and freezing and have had no complaints. Some have even preferred the frozen one. Do a search I know of at least one thread that is about freezing.

Good luck on your cake, Marian

JanDunlevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanDunlevy Posted 12 Mar 2014 , 12:34am
post #3 of 4

AI bake and freeze all of my cakes and WASC is the one I use 99% of the time. I freeze them straight out of the oven hot, by wrapping in plastic wrap (Saran) and then wrap again loosely with foil. When I thaw it, I set it out for about 30 min. until condensation begins to form on the foil and then remove the plastic wrap. I again fold the foil loosely over the cake and let it continue to thaw. My cakes last up to a week I have had clients tell me. They are very moist and I really feel like freezing them hot changes the density of them somewhat, in a positive way!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Mar 2014 , 1:20am
post #4 of 4

I have baked 100s of cakes and frzn them as much as 3 weeks ahead.  They do NOT suffer moisture loss in the fzr.  Only if they are allowed to sit Uncovered at room temp (or in a frig) will they loose moisture.

If wrapped well in plastic wrap they should not pick up any extra moisture.  If I know the cake will be used within 2-3 days I usually just pop it into a plastic bag rather than wrap in plastic wrap :)   You certainly can do both if you are so overly concerned about extra moisture :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%