Alabama: I Am In Need Of Info On How To Get "set Up" Please Help!

Business By Mybearsbaby Updated 13 Mar 2014 , 5:24pm by Mybearsbaby

Mybearsbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mybearsbaby Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 6

Hi there! I want to set up a kitchen at home that will pass as appropriate for a home bakery in bama. 

I have a few options I am considering, and am not sure if it will work or not. I am looking at either buying a 12x24 building, finishing it out, and running out of that, or we may move into a house with an attached "mother in law" suite that already has a second kitchen. Are either of these allowed?

Also, I was told by some family/friends that if you have a home based bakery business that you need:

1) A separate kitchen with its own entrance and own bathroom. (I knew about the entrance, but is the bathroom thing correct?

2) My countertops had to be stainless steel?

3) My floors had to have a drain?

4) I had to have 3 sinks

5) My walls had to be the materials you find in showers, not wood or sheetrock. 

Is any of the above true?

Are there any other kitchen requirements/rules/procedures or things I need to be aware of, and what steps did you take to set up? Are there any helpful websites on the proper procedures for Alabama? I did a google search and a forum search and got conflicting or outdated info. 

Thanks in advance!!

5 replies
enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 8:43pm
post #2 of 6
Mybearsbaby Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 6

AAwesome! Thanks for the links. I will check them out. Thanks so much!

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 6

;-D 

craftyrachel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftyrachel Posted 13 Mar 2014 , 4:58pm
post #5 of 6

Just so you know, the cottage food law just (and by just I mean today) passed in the Alabama state legislature. It's just awaiting the governor's signature. It will allow you to bake out of your own home kitchen. Check out the Alabama Cottage Food Law Information page on Facebook.

Mybearsbaby Posted 13 Mar 2014 , 5:24pm
post #6 of 6

A

Original message sent by craftyrachel

Just so you know, the cottage food law just (and by just I mean today) passed in the Alabama state legislature. It's just awaiting the governor's signature. It will allow you to bake out of your own home kitchen. Check out the Alabama Cottage Food Law Information page on Facebook.

This is awesome news!! I still want to have a storefront someday in the near future, but until I can get everything lined up both physically and financially, this is amazing info. Thanks Craftyrachel!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%