Hellooo! New Caker Here! Hiya! <3

Lounge By pastrypiper Updated 19 Apr 2014 , 1:46am by pastrypiper

pastrypiper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypiper Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 9:23am
post #1 of 13

AHello all! I am Gigi, very new here, but hopefully not a stranger! Lol I have always loved baking! Besides making yummy sweet goodies to eat, I've always had a passion for it, thanks to my dearly departed gram Luevenia. I love baking everything from scratch because I like that I know what I'm putting into my cakes. Especially with the news always telling us that what's bad for us on Monday day, is actually good for us by Thursday! Haha!

I am here to learn and share my journey with you. I've uploaded my very first ever tiered cake in my post here, if anyone wants to take a peek! It shows my two day journey in designing and completing my first tiered cake (stacking the tiers was probably the hardest part)! I will also be uploading my cake progression pictures to share with all of you! There's so many beautiful cakes here made by so many of you that I can't wait to see them all!

I also recently attempted to purchase a REFURBISHED Cook for the Cure Pink KitchenAid Pro 600 mixer for $200 with a 6 month warranty! However, upon KitchenAid receiving my order and payment, they realized they had sold the last one! So they sent me a brand new one with a full year warranty at no extra cost to me for their mistake! I was blown away! I couldn't thank them enough! And I love my new mixer! This kind gesture has inspired me even more to do more and more baking!

So, yah, I just wanted to say "hiya" and let you all know that I'm friendly, and I don't bite (unless you're a cake, then watch out because I can be kinda chompy) hehe! Take care all! I'll see ya around! <3

[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3202360/width/350/height/700[/IMG] [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3202361/width/350/height/700[/IMG] [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3202362/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

12 replies
maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 9:39am
post #2 of 13

AWelcome from Wales. :-) I'm also very new here (and addicted already!) Great news about your Kitchenaid, I love mine and I love a bargain. Your cake is lovely, I'd be thrilled if I could make something like that.

nannycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 9:45am
post #3 of 13

AMe too.

pastrypiper Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 9:51am
post #4 of 13

AThanks Maisie!

Welcome! It's nice to be new! Haha! Nice to meet you! I am in the US! It is nice when you can get a bargain! I never thought I'd save close to $400 though! Lol! I'm very thankful for that! And thanks so much for the compliments on my cake! I've just learned SMBC and IMBC last week, I've not yet taken any cake decorating classes, and I made my first figurine just this last Friday! I feel like I'm on a roll, but I know I have so much to learn yet! It will come in due time for the both of us! In the meantime, I have two new orders after the owl cake got close to 150 likes on Facebook! :]

pastrypiper Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 9:51am
post #5 of 13

AHiya nannycook! <3

asweetjournee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asweetjournee Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 4:32pm
post #6 of 13

AThat's very pretty. My name is trish and today is my first day here. I have to make a wedding cake in June. I'm totally lost on how much to charge. I'm meeting with the bride tonight and i'm so nervous. I do cakes all the time but NEVER a wedding cake. Can anyone help??? If 100 guest how much should I charge and the same for 200? Any suggestions will really help.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 6:40pm
post #7 of 13

ANot really any different than any other cake. For me anyway, I don't treat them any differently price wise. I've done waaaayyy more involved and costlier birthday cakes than some of the weddings I've done. So, that's about it. They'll probably want to taste first,so ddecide whether you want to charge for that or not, and then it's pretty standard after that.

pastrypiper Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 6:52pm
post #8 of 13

A

Original message sent by asweetjournee

That's very pretty. My name is trish and today is my first day here. I have to make a wedding cake in June. I'm totally lost on how much to charge. I'm meeting with the bride tonight and i'm so nervous. I do cakes all the time but NEVER a wedding cake. Can anyone help??? If 100 guest how much should I charge and the same for 200? Any suggestions will really help.

Hi sweet journee! Oh, welcome, nice to meet you! I see there are a lit of newbies here. I thought I was going to be alone, that's a relief! Haha! I wish I could help you decide pricing. However, the pictured cake is thinly one I've done so far, and I charged $175. I gave a lower price because I wasn't even sure I could do the cake, but the client wanted only my cake recipe, so I have her what I thought was a fair price for ingredients, time, and what could've been a disaster if I couldn't figure it out. In fact, it almost was, the very first owl pictures was a disaster, and I quickly regrouped and started over. It seems AZCouture may have some suggestions for you, I hope it helps! <3

Original message sent by AZCouture

Not really any different than any other cake. For me anyway, I don't treat them any differently price wise. I've done waaaayyy more involved and costlier birthday cakes than some of the weddings I've done. So, that's about it. They'll probably want to taste first,so ddecide whether you want to charge for that or not, and then it's pretty standard after that.

Hello AZCouture! Thanks for the suggestions for journee! Nice to meet you as well. <3

nannycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 9:48pm
post #9 of 13

AHiya all, Nice to meet you too.

krystaldel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krystaldel Posted 12 Mar 2014 , 2:57am
post #10 of 13

Hello All, I'm also new here! I've been reading A LOT but couldn't decide how to introduce myself, so I'm glad I found your post Gigi! Very cute cake!! I'm nervous about posting my cakes since there are so many amazing bakers on here. Maybe tomorrow I'll muster up enough courage to post one.

asweetjournee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asweetjournee Posted 12 Mar 2014 , 3:57am
post #11 of 13

AHi Krystaldal. Don't be nervous. I have some horrible cakes but I have some good ones too. We all gotta start somewhere. :-D:-D

pastrypiper Posted 16 Mar 2014 , 7:38pm
post #12 of 13

A

Original message sent by krystaldel

Hello All, I'm also new here! I've been reading A LOT but couldn't decide how to introduce myself, so I'm glad I found your post Gigi! Very cute cake!! I'm nervous about posting my cakes since there are so many amazing bakers on here. Maybe tomorrow I'll muster up enough courage to post one.

Hi Krystal! Thank you! Nice to meet you! And yes, I agree with Journee don't be nervous! We all have to begin somewhere! Just as all the really amazing professionals have done also! :]

I also had a few more cake orders this weekend! Here is my latest cake. It's a boobcake for a friends son's 21st birthday! My first ever sculpted and fondant cake! I also made the fondant from marshmallows!

Edit: I deleted it because I'm not sure if it's okay to post it here! :(

pastrypiper Posted 19 Apr 2014 , 1:43am
post #13 of 13

ASo, I've been "caking" a lot lately and haven't had much time to post or check in here. I hope everyone is well! I just wanted to share a few cakes I've made lately. I think they came out okay, although I'm a newbie I think that I could've done better though... I'm just wondering if anyone here has had a "vision" of how you want a cake to look (design-example... The batman cake I designed is not exactly how I planned it), but it didn't turn out that way? Or am I the only one? [IMG ALT="Batman Lego Cake I made for a sweet birthday boy! Happy Birthday Brady! | AfterDark Chocolate Cake, filled with CocoaBean Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream, draped in 60% cacao Ghirardelli Ganache, covered with fondant."]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3222677/width/500/height/1000[/IMG] [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3222792/width/500/height/1000[/IMG] [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3222793/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%