Traditional Or Marshmallow Fondant

Decorating By shellamae Updated 7 Mar 2014 , 11:42pm by AZCouture

shellamae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellamae Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 2:36am
post #1 of 8

AWhich is better to use on cakes to cover them and make figures with?

7 replies
kellyk1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyk1234 Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 8

It really all depends on what works best for you, but I personally like marshmallow fondant because it tastes better and cheaper to make.  Here's a MMF recipe that I love and you can make figures with it too, just add some tylose powder. 

http://artisancakecompany.com/tutorials/lmf-fondant-recipe/

shellamae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellamae Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 8

AThank you ! This is my first time taking on a big project and just want it to be perfect

kellyk1234 Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 8

A

Original message sent by shellamae

Thank you ! This is my first time taking on a big project and just want it to be perfect

You're welcome! :) You should practice with that fondant recipe(or whatever one you decide to go with) first to make sure it will work for you! I know how frustrating it can be to use a new fondant recipe and then have it tear, or form "elephant skin." There are also several other threads on this site where you can find more answers about store brand or marshmallow fondant. Hope this helps!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 9:42pm
post #5 of 8

You know it reminds me of something that I saw on a golf show.

A highly successful Professional Golfer took a putter and a nine iron and played with a NON-professional for 18 rounds of golf.

The Pro was so good at what he does, and so skilled at his craft that he beat the pants off a guy with a whole bag full of long irons and woods.

Some of these skilled super-talented decorators could take a batch of my imperfect homemade MarshMallow Fondant and make something a million times smoother and prettier than I could.

Try things.  It's FOOD first and foremost.  Both Flavor and Workability are important. Try different fondants, different brands, different recipes, and different flavors.  For every recipe you'll find both lovers and haters.

kellyk1234 Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 10:01pm
post #6 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

You know it reminds me of something that I saw on a golf show.

A highly successful Professional Golfer took a putter and a nine iron and played with a NON-professional for 18 rounds of golf.

The Pro was so good at what he does, and so skilled at his craft that he beat the pants off a guy with a whole bag full of long irons and woods.

Some of these skilled super-talented decorators could take a batch of my imperfect homemade MarshMallow Fondant and make something a million times smoother and prettier than I could.

Try things.  It's FOOD first and foremost.  Both Flavor and Workability are important. Try different fondants, different brands, different recipes, and different flavors.  For every recipe you'll find both lovers and haters.

Very well said! and the most expensive fondant won't create a flawless cake if you're not skilled enough to apply it. I watched several youtube videos and took a few online craftsy classes before even attempting my first fondant covered cake, and while I'm not too bad at it, I always see where I need improvement. 

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 11:40pm
post #7 of 8

AThat was one of the biggest challenges when I played high school golf. Once a week we'd have to go play 9 holes with a putter and one other club. I always took my 7 iron because it's the most versatile. Anyways..man I miss golfing.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 11:42pm
post #8 of 8

AAnd I can say something like "whatever you do, don't use Satin Ice, it's awful!" But plenty of people use it quite successfully, so so much for my advice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%