Well That Was Weird..

Business By BomCakes Updated 11 Mar 2014 , 11:37pm by costumeczar

BomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BomCakes Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 1:40am
post #1 of 15

Just finished a wedding consultation with a couple who drove quite a ways to do a tasting and iron out details for a tentative Sept wedding cake.. I welcomed them, introduced myself, we sat down at my table where the beautifully plated cake, filling and frosting selection was laid out..  The Bride was pleasant but the groom basically refused to speak the whole time, not a shy sort of silence but more "I don't like you/ want to be here". He didn't taste almost anything on the platter and I got probably one sentence out of him. I usually can get anyone to loosen up and enjoy but He looked super annoyed from the get go and by the end it was uncomfortable.  I did get all their info and pertinents for the reception etc but WOW that was weird!

14 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 2:02am
post #2 of 15

That's a divorce waiting to happen.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 4:16am
post #3 of 15

AIf it gets that far. Hopefully, with the high divorce rate today, they might reconsider before the leap.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 4:42am
post #4 of 15

Might not be a divorce in the making.  I recall a time or 2  I've behaved similarly, and I'm going on 8 years of marriage. :grin:  My thought is he's a guy who is bored to tears with the wedding planning process and couldn't' care less about the details.  His attitude could have been better but the bride may not care as it's "her" day.  If I had done that at a cake tasting my husband would have asked me if I was alright, and told me I seemed a little off.

I have a friend whose husband is like that.  I swore they wouldn't last while they were dating but she is VERY happy.  He never smiles (not even at his son's christening), rolls his eyes at everything and never wants to do anything fun.  I don't get it, but some people are that way and for whatever reason someone will actually marry them.  

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 4:50am
post #5 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norasmom 

Might not be a divorce in the making.  I recall a time or 2  I've behaved similarly, and I'm going on 8 years of marriage. :grin:  My thought is he's a guy who is bored to tears with the wedding planning process and couldn't' care less about the details.  His attitude could have been better but the bride may not care as it's "her" day.  If I had done that at a cake tasting my husband would have asked me if I was alright, and told me I seemed a little off.

I have a friend whose husband is like that.  I swore they wouldn't last while they were dating but she is VERY happy.  He never smiles (not even at his son's christening), rolls his eyes at everything and never wants to do anything fun.  I don't get it, but some people are that way and for whatever reason someone will actually marry them.  

:lol:

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 5:42am
post #6 of 15

I have been married for 30 years and I can tell you that my hubby probably would have been the same.  He did not eat cake at all back then and was not interested in anything wedding.  I even had to push him into going in to get the suits hired.  That is not to say that he did not want to marry me, just that the whole production for arriving at that point didn't interest him.  Nor me much either to be truthful.

Moniquea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moniquea Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 2:41pm
post #7 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 

That's a divorce waiting to happen.

LMAO!!!!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 4:41pm
post #8 of 15

They probably had a fight in the car on the way there, and you were the lucky witness to his wah wah baby temper tantrum silent treatment.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 12:19am
post #9 of 15

I'm glad to see these success stories. I'm afraid I came away from an unexpected divorce with 4 boys, (5 years and under), and a good dose of cynicism. Fortunately, my parents enabled me to get a small farm and I managed to be a stay at home mom, practicing frugality and self-sufficiency. It was tough but was a good environment for raising my boys.

Don't mean to hijack the thread. Those good stories are refreshing.

Jan

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 12:50am
post #10 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkmaid42 

I'm glad to see these success stories. I'm afraid I came away from an unexpected divorce with 4 boys, (5 years and under), and a good dose of cynicism. Fortunately, my parents enabled me to get a small farm and I managed to be a stay at home mom, practicing frugality and self-sufficiency. It was tough but was a good environment for raising my boys.

Don't mean to hijack the thread. Those good stories are refreshing.

Jan

;-D  Lucky boys to have you as a mom.  

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 12:55am
post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by BomCakes 

"......The Bride was pleasant but the groom basically refused to speak the whole time, not a shy sort of silence but more "I don't like you/ want to be here". ..."

You are choosing to interpret a strangers silence as a dislike of You personally.

You have chosen incorrectly.  What ever the problem was, it's 99.9% certain that it had nothing to do with you. 

(or they were fighting because she's  pg from his best friend)  Oh how our minds can build stories about strangers........ ;-) 

BomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BomCakes Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 8:39pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBalaska 

You are choosing to interpret a strangers silence as a dislike of You personally.

You have chosen incorrectly.  What ever the problem was, it's 99.9% certain that it had nothing to do with you. 

(or they were fighting because she's  pg from his best friend)  Oh how our minds can build stories about strangers........ ;-) 

Not at all, you needed to see this guy. It was awkward borderline menacing. After that whole episode I don't care if he likes me personally, but he was a jerk plain and simple to his fiancée and a complete stranger. She seemed excited at first but devolved into an almost apologetic/begging manner after refusing to speak or help her choose. I wonder at him for ruining the fun of the cake appointment which was a special occasion in her mind and her for putting up with that after a 9 year engagement. I forgot to mention that. Maybe he was ticked because he's finally going to have to "buy the cow"... (Figure of speech I'm not calling her a cow)

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 9:07pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BomCakes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBalaska 

Not at all, you needed to see this guy. It was awkward borderline menacing. After that whole episode I don't care if he likes me personally, but he was a jerk plain and simple to his fiancée and a complete stranger. She seemed excited at first but devolved into an almost apologetic/begging manner after refusing to speak or help her choose. I wonder at him for ruining the fun of the cake appointment which was a special occasion in her mind and her for putting up with that after a 9 year engagement. I forgot to mention that. Maybe he was ticked because he's finally going to have to "buy the cow"... (Figure of speech I'm not calling her a cow)

Urrg, don't you just hate that. So glad I don't have to do tastings at work. They keep saying aww come on, your so good with people. Yeah with people not Jack wagons (not at all what I wanted to say). I have witnessed some awful ones let me tell ya. Nope, no thanks, cant do them. Glad you got through it okay without whacking him across the head, lol.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 9:39pm
post #14 of 15

AGood point, he's finally having to buy the cow. Could be!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 11:37pm
post #15 of 15

I've done appointments with guys who were so abusive to their fiancees I wanted to tell her to run far away and fast. One guy basically told his fiancee to shut up every time she tried to talk, and when she did state an opinion he told her she was stupid to think that. At one point he turned to me and said something about how "she does this all the time." Made me want to punch the guy in the throat. I did tell him that she wasn't doing anything wrong and he didn't like that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%