Do They Use All Crisco For This Type Of Frosting At The Bakery?

Baking By Anna1211 Updated 7 Mar 2014 , 3:39pm by AnnieCahill

Anna1211 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anna1211 Posted 5 Mar 2014 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 9

Hi guys,

I really love frosting like this because it taste delicious and its also very easy to deliver it to parties. Do you know if this type of frosting is made with all crisco? Thanks, hope you guys can help me out ! I hope to pipe it out with a circle tip

8 replies
W3ndy8ird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
W3ndy8ird Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 9

AWell, from what I can tell in the pic, the top one is red velvet, which usually gets frosted with cream cheese frosting. (Which includes cream cheese and butter, not crisco) the bottom looks like it could be buttercream, which can be made with all crisco with the difference being, crisco makes the buttercream 'crust' once it's piped/spread and left to set..hope that helps..

Anna1211 Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 9

Hi

Thank you so much for your reply =) Does crust mean it basically sets and hardens a little? What makes a frosting crust after it sets? Is it the sugar ,crisco or butter?

W3ndy8ird Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 9

ACrust means you can touch your finger lightly to the icing and it won't stick. What actually makes buttercream crust is the fat to sugar ratio.. I just usually use crisco for my crusting buttercream...here's a good page to explain it...

http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2013/07/crusting-buttercream/

Hope this helps! :)

W3ndy8ird Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 7:48pm
post #5 of 9

ALol I just realized both posts I'm replying to are the same person...we're funny.

Anna1211 Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 10:05pm
post #6 of 9

AHahha yes! Ty so much wendy! You been so helpful. For the recipe you send me for the buttercream, I notice it uses corn starch. I never seen that before. What does the corn starch do? Also for the fat to sugar ratio, what is the ratio to it? Is it even?

W3ndy8ird Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 1:27pm
post #7 of 9

AThe cornstarch helps thicken up the icing, and helps to stabilize it. That particular recipe calls for two cups of fat to two pounds of sugar..so it's about that lol.

patriciareed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patriciareed Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 2:22pm
post #8 of 9

Hi would you please gibe me the recipe , mine never gets  hard enough to put a fondant one it  good.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 3:39pm
post #9 of 9

Can you taste it and tell if there's butter in it?  Most bakeries use a combination of butter and shortening, or just shortening (usually high ratio).

You have to have more sugar than fat for the recipe to crust.  Look up crusting buttercream recipes on Google.  I prefer a non-crusting recipe and find my decorations stick better to a cake when it hasn't crusted over.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%