The Mat Makes Fondant Too Moist?

Decorating By Aurora42196 Updated 1 Mar 2014 , 3:30am by SweetShop5

Aurora42196 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aurora42196 Posted 28 Feb 2014 , 7:01am
post #1 of 4

AHello fellow bakers :)

I just recently bought the mat and I love the way it works. The problem is not with the application of the fondant, but after the fondant Is already placed. After covering the cake in fondant I notices that the exterior is slightly tacky so I had to use gloved hands to smooth. And after about 24 hrs, the fondant was very shiny and sticky!

I've always used Liz Marek's Fondant and just recently started using Indydebi's Buttercream (It's very delicious :D). With so many new factor into play it has to be that:

1. The fondant is said to last about 6 months and it was just getting close to being expired. So maybe the fondant breaks down quicker? 2. Indydebi buttercream doesn't work very well with fondant in my area 3. The Mat (because it has now taken out the tons of powdered sugar needed to roll the fondant out) is keeping the fondant too moist when rolling it out. I have used this fondant with the classic rolling pin method and has turned out fantastic.

There are still some test I want to do (i.e. Trying the mat with fresh fondant rather than older) so I can pinpoint the problem before I have a cake due next week

Any and all information is appreciated and thank you in advance :) ;)

3 replies
SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 28 Feb 2014 , 12:06pm
post #2 of 4

I have the mat too, but I used Virgin Ice fondant. The fondant is very shiny and sticky when I first put it on the cake but then it dries out and goes back to normal. I'm assuming it might be your fondant? It might be oily. Also, make sure to clean your mat very well because it gets very oily.

Aurora42196 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aurora42196 Posted 28 Feb 2014 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 4

AThanks you for the info sweet shop. It could be that's it's too oily. I've heard that you only need a very miniscule amount of shortening to season it. I'll wipe off as much as I can and try again. I still have a bit of the older fondant left.

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 1 Mar 2014 , 3:30am
post #4 of 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurora42196 

Thanks you for the info sweet shop. It could be that's it's too oily. I've heard that you only need a very miniscule amount of shortening to season it. I'll wipe off as much as I can and try again. I still have a bit of the older fondant left.

I usually dont put anything on the mat when rolling fondant, I used to put corn starch but I realized it doesn't need anything.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%