Gritty Chocolate Buttercream

Baking By MartieG Updated 26 Feb 2014 , 4:02pm by MartieG

MartieG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MartieG Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 3:39pm
post #1 of 5

AMade chocolate buttercream for the first time last night. No matter how long I whipped it on high speed (15 minutes total), could NOT get the smooth texture normally associated with buttercream. Kept adding heavy cream thinking that might help, but afraid I'll lose stiffness if I keep adding. This is going under fondant so I'm not too concerned about it's appearance, but the grainy/grittiness has to go. Any suggestions from you veterans???

Thanks, M

4 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 5

What kind of powdered sugar are you using?  I think that may be the culprit.  I can always feel the powdered sugar crunch between my teeth, but if it's a recipe which uses a higher amount of powdered sugar, it may make it worse.

I use heavy cream in my recipe too, and I use a lot.  I heat it up before I add it to the recipe because I think the heat breaks down the sugar a bit.

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 5

Sometimes it's the sugar, sometimes it's the shortening, and sometimes it's both. I had the same problem with ABC until I started using the Winbeckler method. I personally prefer SMBC but not everyone likes it. HTH

MartieG Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 3:58pm
post #4 of 5

AImperial Brand and it was a fresh bag so that's not it.

Thanks for mentioning heating up the cream; I was wondering that too. One other thing...what if I put the batch in the microwave for say 5-10 seconds and then whip the crap out of it again??? It's still in bowl because I can't quite bring myself to put it on a cake yet.

Thanks

MartieG Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 4:02pm
post #5 of 5

AOooo... thanks for the link Enga. Just read that and maybe, JUST MAYBE that might be the issue. Who knows, maybe because I purchased it from Walmart, maybe the PS sat on the shelf for awhile.

I think I'm going to try to heat it just a tad, whip it and see if that works. If it doesn't, then I'll trash it and start fresh.

Thanks fellow bakers!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%