What Would You Do?

Decorating By mrsmac888 Updated 24 Feb 2014 , 9:00pm by DeniseNH

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 8

So, here is a situation I found myself in this weekend and I'd like to know what you would have done.

I made a 3 tier wedding cake.  Bottom, 16", middle 12"  and top tier, 6". 

The bride wanted the 7" "crystal" look pillars.  She wanted the cake tall and elegant!  It was tall alright!

Everything was going just great until I arrived with the cake at the reception hall and started putting it all together.  I completely expected that cake to topple.  I felt like it was VERY unstable.   What can be done next time so I can walk away more confident that the cake will be ok? 

Just for the record, it didn't fall, but I have to tell you, I'm surprised! 

7 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 8

Looks good.  I would have cut the internal supports shorter eliminating the gap between cake and plate for more of a "suction" rather than balancing act, and would have used a base board rather than plate.  (Also would have used matching crystal-look plates instead of white.)

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 8:59pm
post #3 of 8

Gorgeous looking cake.  I think I would have found 9" push in pillars and told the bride that's as high as you dared to go.  The cake that you pushed the pillars into would be your support.  But in your case the only thing you can do is add more sturdy supports under the plates to prevent tipping.  Honestly, there's always something new to learn with each delivery.  It simply amazes me.

post #4 of 8

Gorgeous looking cake.  I think I would have found 9" push in pillars and told the bride that's as high as you dared to go.  The cake that you pushed the pillars into would be your support.  But in your case the only thing you can do is add more sturdy supports under the plates to prevent tipping.  Honestly, there's always something new to learn with each delivery.  It simply amazes me.

post #5 of 8

post #6 of 8

post #7 of 8

DeniseNH Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 9:00pm
post #8 of 8

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%