What Should I Use For A Cupcake Flower?

Decorating By KerryfromNZ Updated 3 Mar 2014 , 3:36am by KerryfromNZ

KerryfromNZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KerryfromNZ Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 5:14am
post #1 of 8

Hi, I'm pretty new to cake decorating however have decided to jump in the deep end and make my own cupcakes for my wedding.  I have been experimenting with and reading about different products to use to make the gerbera daisy topper which will sit on top of a buttercream swirl on each cupcake.  I have tried store bought fondant, this was too brittle and broke easily when dry and I have tried making my own gum paste, which works quite well however it tastes disgusting and I would not want to serve my guests inedible food.  Can anyone suggest the perfect product for this purpose which is tasty?  Is marshmellow fondant stronger than store bought?  Any suggestions very gratefully received! 

7 replies
W3ndy8ird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
W3ndy8ird Posted 25 Feb 2014 , 6:20pm
post #2 of 8

AMarshmallow fondant (MMF) is pretty easy to make and tastes better than store bought. Gerbera daisies are pretty simple so it should be fine for those. Also, I know you said you were starting out in baking, but modeling chocolate might work well too. Definitely do a lot of research and lots of practice, which sounds like you are.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 25 Feb 2014 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 8

I personally , would use modeling chocolate for the flowers.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 12:12am
post #4 of 8

Yup....Modeling Chocolate.  Looks good, smells good, taste good, easy to make, easy to work with.

mgreen44 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgreen44 Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 1:26am
post #5 of 8

AI use a fondant recipe found in the Wilton book - but instead of glucose I use corn syrup. I love it for cupcake toppers because it gets hard and doesn't droop, but is still soft and chewy when you bite into it! My boyfriend just sneaks bites of it when I'm decorating, so I figure it can't taste too bad! (I myself don't like any fondant.)

But modeling chocolate is delicious. That's a great option.

TheNerdyBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheNerdyBaker Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 2:40am
post #6 of 8

I third modeling chocolate.  It will taste best by far, and you can do a lot of things with it.

Keep in mind, for the most part gumpaste, while it is technically edible, isn't really meant to be eaten.  It hardens up just like clay would when left out.

When professional bakers talk completely edible, we are generally telling you that it is all completely food safe. 

If you are dead set on having your guest eat the toppers use modeling chocolate or a fondant.  If you are loking more for the visual impact, save yourself a TON of time and effort and purchase premade gumpaste flowers.  It's a life saver.

http://www.globalsugarart.com/gumpaste-flowers-decorations-c-999.html

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 2:45am
post #7 of 8

Modelling chocolate or royal icing. If you go with royal, it will soften up if it sits on the cake for any length of time. Or you could just pipe buttercream flowers directly on the cupcakes.

KerryfromNZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KerryfromNZ Posted 3 Mar 2014 , 3:36am
post #8 of 8

Thanks heaps for all your suggestions, looks like modelling chocolate is the winner.  Will definitely have a go at using this but might wait til something a bit less important than my wedding cake so I have plenty of time to practise with it (my wedding is in less than 3 weeks).  In the mean time I've decided to shoot a little lower and make something simpler yet still lovely so I don't completely stress out.  I've made some MMF which turned out beautifully and will add a little tylose to some to make the small flowers that I'm adding to the cake.  It doesn't matter so much if these aren't tasty as I've ditched the cupcake idea and going with a MMF covered cake instead.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%