Chocolate/candy Melt Shell For Giant Cupcake

Decorating By Crissielyn Updated 19 Mar 2014 , 9:17pm by sophiessweets19

Crissielyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crissielyn Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 3:57am
post #1 of 10

Having some issues making a chocolate (candy melt) shell for a giant cupcake.  All the tutorials say to melt the candy melts, coat the pan with the melted chocolate, double coat once first coat sets up, let is set up for an hour or so in the fridge, then pop it out of the pan.

Well, I have tried twice and it doesn't work.  The candy shell will not come out of the pan.  Each time is crumbles or breaks into piece and will not release cleanly.  I am using Wilton candy melts.  I am careful when melting so as not to scorch.  I did add some gel (not liquid as I know not to add water) food coloring to darken the color.

Any idea?  Perplexed why I cannot pop out a nice little shell like all the tutorials suggest.  Thanks.

9 replies
cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 4:44am
post #2 of 10

I'm wondering if the gel is your culprit? Try adding oil candy colour instead of the gel if you need to darken the colour. Or, what I usually do is mix different candy melt colours together to customize the shade. 

Shazza65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shazza65 Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 4:49am
post #3 of 10

Hi

Newbie here. I've made numerous giant cupcakes. I don't have easy access to candy melts, so use tinted white chocolate for the cup. I put the mould in the fridge to get nice and cold, then after the chocolate is ready, pour into the mould, swirling it around and getting a good coating. Then, it's back into the fridge to set up. Once set, I add another layer of chocolate, and keep doing this over and over until I have the cup the thickness I need.

Crissielyn Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 10

I am trying it again, but this time with candy melts with no color added.  I am waiting on the second coat to set, but it still looks like that thing is going to be clinging to the side of the pan and not pop out.

brendapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brendapena Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 5:13pm
post #5 of 10

AFirst of all are you using the metal pan or a silicon mold? Also don't refrigerate the chocolate just let it sit at room temp it's chocolate after a while it will sweating and chocolates worst enemy is water so it will lead it to start cracking

Crissielyn Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 10

I am using the metal pan.  The one I did this morning I put the first coat in the fridge for about 20 minutes to set and then gave it a second coat and decided to just leave it out on the counter until I get home from work tonight.

Do I need the silicone to make it work?  

Crissielyn Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 5:36pm
post #7 of 10

Just checked and the tutorials definitely show the metal pan...

Crissielyn Posted 18 Mar 2014 , 11:06pm
post #8 of 10

Just wanted to leave a final note in case someone having the same issue comes across this and stumbles on this post.  I was finally able to make the shell once I bought the silicone version of the giant cupcake pan.  Got it on amazon for 9.99 and it was very easy to pull the silicone away slightly and get out the shell.

No matter what I did, the chocolate was stuck fast to the metal pan and I always used a couple nice thick layers.  Did not matter if I put it in the fridge, freezer or left it out so that moisture did not get near it.  Nothing worked for me but the silicone pan.

I will say the silicone pan was much harder to bake in and its not as sturdy as I would like.  Make sure to fill it up while it is on a baking sheet because its hard to move it once it is full without it collapsing. 

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 12:34am
post #9 of 10

I've always used the Candy Melts in the metal pan.  Refrigerate until it is needed or an hour minimum, as 20 minutes for Wilton Candy Melts is not enough time...and it will just pop right out, easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Chocolate only gets pissed off if water gets in it while melted.  Condensation does nothing to hardened chocolate except evaporate off with no issues.

sophiessweets19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sophiessweets19 Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 9:17pm
post #10 of 10

AYes I always use the silicone mold and it peals right out

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%