Buttercream Ruffles With Fondant Detail

Decorating By shorn0099 Updated 1 Mar 2014 , 6:28pm by nancylee61

shorn0099 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shorn0099 Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 3:48am
post #1 of 8

A[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3190208/width/350/height/700[/IMG] Just the bottom tier of this cake! I will be doing an 8 " exactly like the bottom except the ruffles will be in buttercream and the swag in fondant? Is this possible or cake disaster in the making?

7 replies
judyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judyz Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 4:16am
post #2 of 8

What a great cake!  I would caution you about putting the fondant right against the buttercream. I have not had good luck mixing the two mediums. I put fondant stars on buttercream frosted cupcakes and had wilted stars the next morning.

Possibly refrigerating them would have made a difference, but, if you could, do everything on the cake and add the fondant ruffle at the last minute.

I will be interested to read other opinions on this.

Hope that helps a little,

Judy Z

Colorado

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 4:47am
post #3 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by judyz 

What a great cake!  I would caution you about putting the fondant right against the buttercream. I have not had good luck mixing the two mediums. I put fondant stars on buttercream frosted cupcakes and had wilted stars the next morning.

Possibly refrigerating them would have made a difference, but, if you could, do everything on the cake and add the fondant ruffle at the last minute.

I will be interested to read other opinions on this.

Hope that helps a little,

Judy Z

Colorado

WARNING:  I am going to use the word Modeling Chocolate (MC) alot....

Judy Z:  If you have decorations that need to hold their own and stand out from your cake, they need to be made well in advance (like Mon for a Sat cake) to dry and added just before your customer gets your cake.  Refrigeration would have probably made it worse.  I can see how the stars would have absorbed the moisture from the icing and softened overnight - try adding just before pickup or have customer add if the party is the following day.  Try modeling chocolate.  My new fave medium!

shorn0099:  When humidity is low, I refrigerate fondant cakes all the time, but the swags would make me nervous...now that I have discovered using MC, you may want to try that!  I would make white and add the purple to your liking and to match the top part of the cake.  Her dress could also be done in mod choc.

I would cover the top of the bottom tier in fondant or MC, do your buttercream ruffles, then MC swags and flowers (also can be done in MC).  You should be able to fridge the whole thing then without worrying about melting!

Good luck and whoever knows more about MC than I do...and I don't know much...please correct me if I am wrong.

nancylee61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylee61 Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 12:15pm
post #4 of 8

ABees knees, I am just learning about Modeling chocolate also, since almost everyone I know dislikes fondant. Who doesn't like chocolate, right?

I got the book that wicked goodies wrote, and it is a great way to start, along with more advanced stuff. website also has fabulous tutorials. Note: I have no relationship with the author, except she has personally answered questions I have asked her through emails and here.

http://www.wickedgoodies.net/cake-decorating-with-modeling-chocolate/

http://www.wickedgoodies.net/blog-home-page/

So I agree that the OP should give chocolate a try.

Nancy

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 8

Oooohhh, THANK YOU nancylee!  Wicked Goodies just got a new fan and possibly a new book sale!

nancylee61 Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 9:42pm
post #6 of 8

She is awesome - he name is Kristen, and she is so generous with her knowledge!!!

Nancy

shorn0099 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shorn0099 Posted 28 Feb 2014 , 11:34pm
post #7 of 8

A[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3194572/width/350/height/700[/IMG] I ended up using fondant for just the bottom. Thanks so much everyone!

nancylee61 Posted 1 Mar 2014 , 6:27pm
post #8 of 8

That came out beautifully!!! Great job! I actually like your cake much better than the inspiration!

Nancy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%