Which Is Which.

Baking By sugarflorist Updated 18 Feb 2014 , 12:32pm by sugarflorist

sugarflorist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarflorist Posted 18 Feb 2014 , 11:23am
post #1 of 6

AJust trying to muddle through a recipe from the US. Here in the uk we have self raising flour (raising agents already added) and plain flour. What are these called please. What is the us equivalent? And how much does a stick of butter weigh?

5 replies
didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 18 Feb 2014 , 12:16pm
post #2 of 6

AWe have self rising flour also. The other we call all purpose flour. Stick of butter is 113g or 4oz. Hope that helps. :o)

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 18 Feb 2014 , 12:18pm
post #3 of 6

AHiya, my understanding is that uk plain flour is like US 'all purpose flour' and since SR is just plain with raising agents if you see a recipe with all purpose and raising agents just use SR. I also use SR instead of cake flour and just replace 2tlb SR with cornflour, works really well.

For butter I go on the 4sticks=1lb so 1 stick is 4oz

Hope that helps :-) happy baking! (whatcha making??!)

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 18 Feb 2014 , 12:19pm
post #4 of 6

AHey my smile face came out wrong..

sugarflorist Posted 18 Feb 2014 , 12:19pm
post #5 of 6

A

Original message sent by didavista

We have self rising flour also. The other we call all purpose flour. Stick of butter is 113g or 4oz. Hope that helps. :o)

Thanks ;)

sugarflorist Posted 18 Feb 2014 , 12:32pm
post #6 of 6

A

Original message sent by Crazy-Gray

Hiya, my understanding is that uk plain flour is like US 'all purpose flour' and since SR is just plain with raising agents if you see a recipe with all purpose and raising agents just use SR. I also use SR instead of cake flour and just replace 2tlb SR with cornflour, works really well.

For butter I go on the 4sticks=1lb so 1 stick is 4oz

Hope that helps :-) happy baking! (whatcha making??!)

I don't buy self raising flour because there is too much variation between the makes and most raising agents degrade over time. So I stick to all purpose flour for all my baking. I am making banana bread with a twist - I add the rind of an orange to it and make up a water ice with fresh orange juice and orange rind to pour over the top. The orange really makes the banana flavour pop.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%