Cracking Fondant Bow, Urgent Help Needed :(

Decorating By vickymacalla Updated 15 Feb 2014 , 7:43pm by vickymacalla

vickymacalla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacalla Posted 14 Feb 2014 , 4:52pm
post #1 of 3

I really need some help please :(

I made a cake for my boss's daughter's birthday party which is tomorrow....I made a fondant bow, just a simple two-loop one, and let it dry for 24 hours with the loops stuffed so they were supported. But when I put it on the cake this morning, one loop just cracked and broke into about 3 pieces.

I made another one, this time a little bit smaller, and I've been letting it dry on it's side in an air conditioned room for about 7 hours. But when I just removed the things propping the loops up so mu boss could take the cake home, I noticed that one loop has cracked AGAIN, it's right in the middle of the loop, so I'm afraid that when the bow is put on the cake it's just going to snap and fall flat :( :(

She has taken the bow home still on it's side drying, I said she should put it on right before it's cake time....but is there anything she can do overnight to try fix the crack?

Thanks in advance....I think it was the fondant I used because it cracked on the cake too :( :(

2 replies
AivaCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AivaCake Posted 14 Feb 2014 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 3

AAll of my bows are made out of fondant that has tylose powder in it. It makes it dry reallllly stiff and hard and pretty quick, too. You can buy that stuff in cake stores if you have any near by. If your fondant is cracking, knead shortening in it, but that's not going to help with the bow unless you have tylose. Can you buy premade gumpaste? I had a bow that was rock hard crack during a wedding cake delivery when we had a blowout and water and holding it together for a while helped it glue back together. Can you post pics?

vickymacalla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacalla Posted 15 Feb 2014 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 3

AI think next time I will use tylose powder too, I've only ever used fondant by it's self before. I tried 'gluing' the first one with water but it was just not going to happen.

Lesson learned I guess...always make a spare bow!

Thanks for the suggestions though :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%