Don't Understand The Excitement Over Red Velvet

Baking By handymama Updated 14 Feb 2014 , 7:35pm by AivaCake

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 14 Feb 2014 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 7

I've been looking for a great red velvet recipe for years. This week we tried cakeman raven's, which is the same as chefstef's. I've also made red velvet box mix. Every one of them just tastes like "cake" with no special or identifiable flavor. It's my opinion that what actually draws people to it is the yummy cream cheese frosting. Your thoughts???

6 replies
loml001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loml001 Posted 14 Feb 2014 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 7

AI had never cared much for red velvet either - but then I tried lorann oil's classic red velvet cake using their red velvet emulsion and it was delicious! I can get the emulsion at Walmart now for a few dollars cheaper than our cake supply store. The recipe is on the lorann oil website.

sugarflorist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarflorist Posted 14 Feb 2014 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 7

we have recently had a thread on this- it may interest you to see the replies. for me the point if red velvet and the great flavour is in using the original recipe which includes beetroot

here is the link to the previous thread. http://cakecentral.com/t/767485/red-velvet-i-dont-get-it

there is a recipe here too

Laurelj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laurelj Posted 14 Feb 2014 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 7

AI have never understood the Red Velvet craze myself, thinking RV is simply a vehicle for transportation of Cream Cheese Frosting. The Loranns RV emulsion is def a winner though, it makes RV quick and easy, still don't get the craze but my clients that order it do :) Oh well different strokes . . .

Laurelj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laurelj Posted 14 Feb 2014 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 7

A[I]Btw you ALL do realize the originl RV did not use Cream Cheese Frosting. The origibl used a cooked frosting, no cream cheese[/I]

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 14 Feb 2014 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 7

To me red velvet is just an underachieving chocolate cake, the roux frosting is one of my favourites though.

AivaCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AivaCake Posted 14 Feb 2014 , 7:35pm
post #7 of 7

AI think it's the color for most people, and the fact it tastes a little like chocolate. They just don't even know lol. I see so many "natural mama" friends who will order cakes with less colors because artificial colors are bad for you, but then they want red velvet cake and eat it like there's no tomorrow

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%