Gold Spray Paint On Fondant Dummy Cake?

Decorating By HannahsMomi Updated 27 Jan 2016 , 6:52pm by HannahsMomi

HannahsMomi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahsMomi Posted 13 Feb 2014 , 11:38pm
post #1 of 9

I am making a shiny gold fondant wedding dummy cake...Can I use real spray paint on fondant?  I'm trying to save a little money by not buying the pme luster spray or any of the other edible sprays.  I figure using real spray paint would save me some $$$.  Has anyone done this?  Would it work?  Or do something to the fondant?

8 replies
BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 14 Feb 2014 , 4:07am
post #2 of 9

Haven't done that...I imagine it would smell pretty bad for awhile.  The chemicals MAY eat the fondant, but I am not sure? 

HannahsMomi Posted 14 Feb 2014 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 9

Well, I rolled out a test piece of fondant last night and applied some acrylic metallic paint...and so far, it looks just fine.  The fondant isn't degrading in any way.  I'll keep watching it and see what happens...

Wish me luck!

jaclew11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaclew11 Posted 22 Oct 2014 , 7:21am
post #4 of 9

I am having the same dilemma!  Covering a styrofoam dummy cake with fondant and want a couple of the tiers to be metallic, but don't want to spend the money on edible sprays or powders.  Did the regular metallic spray paint end up working for you?  Or did it eat through the fondant?  What brand of paint did you use?

asascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asascakes Posted 24 Jan 2016 , 9:53pm
post #5 of 9

flushed.png Are you trying to kill people?? If the answer is no, then no!, you cannot use real spray paint. Spend the money on and edible/non-toxic/food grade spray or don't do it at all. Another alternative that looks even better than sprays is *edible* gold luster dust painted on with ever clear or vodka etc. 

I know this was an old post, but for anyone coming across it now: you cannot use real spray paints, or gold paints on cake. Common sense guys. 

Best wishes

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Jan 2016 , 10:30pm
post #6 of 9

This was on a dummy cake that nobody will be eating, so go ahead and spray away. Just make sure that whatever you're doing with inedible items can be replicated with edible item if someone wants that design in a real cake.

asascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asascakes Posted 24 Jan 2016 , 11:29pm
post #7 of 9

Yes true. As long as one has actually practiced and used edible sprays and dusts before. I would hate for someone to practice with real spray paint and then attempt the edibles for a customer or someone who wants that design and effect. Not all edible golds are made alike! so if someone has never used them before except only spray paint, goes and gets some Wilton gold spray (blekk!) and goes for it, that person is not getting that same beautiful gold.

IMO, I just say, practice with what you'd give to a customer/friend/family always; dummy or otherwise. Know your mediums, know your skills, and never shortcut.  

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Jan 2016 , 3:26am
post #8 of 9

The problem I foresee on doing that is you will not be able to duplicate the exact color and shine on a real cake.  Been there, done that and had upset client.

HannahsMomi Posted 25 Jan 2016 , 7:26pm
post #9 of 9

asascakes....this was a dummy cake and no one was going to eat it.  I do have common sense.

I have used edible sprays and dusts and am very comfortable using them.  I just did not want to spend all that money for those items on a cake that was just for display.  I was trying to save some money on the dummy and replicate the look.  If anyone (a bride) would want a cake to replicate the dummy, I would be sure to let them know that the dummy was sprayed with spray paint and the "look" on a real cake would be different.  I would also show examples.

Thanks so much for all of the responses on this post!  I do appreciate it!  I just wanted to be sure to point out again that this was a dummy cake for a photo shoot.  I am not trying to poison anyone.  smiley.png

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%