Comparison: Baking Cookies On Silicone Mat - Silpat - Insulated Cookie Sheet

Baking By volcom883 Updated 14 Feb 2014 , 4:04pm by SweetCarolines

volcom883 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
volcom883 Posted 13 Feb 2014 , 11:50am
post #1 of 9

I made an interesting cookie baking comparison between silicone mat, silpat style silicone mat and insulated baking tray

here are the results;

LEFT, silpat style silicone mat: flattened too much, cracked while baking

MIDDLE, insulated baking tray: perfectly baked

RIGHT, silicone mat: bottom and sides darker than top

oven: semi professional convection oven

note: silpat style silicone mat isnt original silpat branded one. could that be the reason why it came out like that :/

awaiting your comments :)

8 replies
liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 13 Feb 2014 , 1:29pm
post #2 of 9

I used to love Silpats, but now I use parchment on a sheet pan, and it works great for everything!  And you can use one sheet multiple times. :)

Liz

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 13 Feb 2014 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 9

They all look delicious to me!!

I use a silpat on top of an insulated baking sheet.  I also have used parchment.  Both have the same results.  I am not a good ccc baker, so I cheat…with refrigerated dough.  

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 13 Feb 2014 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 9

I agree with Liz about parchment paper. Cheap and predictable!

There are other variables, such as oven rack placement, so it would be interesting if you did multiple testing. I tested ovens for Maytag Appliances (now Whirlpool) and we had to do multiple testing for each variation, with full documentation. (One of my coworkers wrote results on the back of pizza delivery boxes. Gave me a whole new view of corporate professionalism.) 

volcom883 Posted 13 Feb 2014 , 4:16pm
post #5 of 9

i use a fan assisted oven so parchment isnt a good option for me since i dont wanna deal with putting weight on the sides of it :P

tomorrow i will the same experiment with parchment paper too. will let everybody here know :)

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 13 Feb 2014 , 4:45pm
post #6 of 9

I bake CCC on real Silpats (parchment blows around in my oven). I have some non-silpat silicone mats - look the same, but they definitely don't bake up the same, they come out like yours did, a bit too spread out/cracked on the edges. I never use them any more for cookies, I only use the Silpats.

volcom883 Posted 13 Feb 2014 , 4:52pm
post #7 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayti 

I bake CCC on real Silpats (parchment blows around in my oven). I have some non-silpat silicone mats - look the same, but they definitely don't bake up the same, they come out like yours did, a bit too spread out/cracked on the edges. I never use them any more for cookies, I only use the Silpats.

owwww so original silpats perform better then?

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 14 Feb 2014 , 1:00am
post #8 of 9

AThey do for me. It happened a number of times with batches of 48 cookies, where I was using a combination of both types of mats with the same batch and the same bake. I finally cottoned on that the real Silpats worked better than the other brand.

SweetCarolines Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCarolines Posted 14 Feb 2014 , 4:04pm
post #9 of 9

I only use siltpads for macaroons. Sometimes for sugar cookies if I'm out of parchment or wax. 

For chocolate chip, macadamia, etc, I butter the pan. I stopped doing this for a while and started baking on siltpads instead and people started complaining about the taste, so back to butter it was.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%