Problem Dyeing Modelling Chocolate

Decorating By TartasImposible Updated 13 Feb 2014 , 8:28pm by TartasImposible

TartasImposible Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TartasImposible Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 8:20am
post #1 of 7

Hi all!

I love plastic chocolate to decorate 3D cakes but I have problems when I colour it. I warm white modelling chocolate with my hands and apply gel colorant and mix the paste for a long time. It looks homogeneous but after a while the surface get darker than the inside. Maybe you can answer me "well, mix it again" but if I do paste get too melted to apply on cake. Anyone knows how can I solve this problem?

Thanks a lot and sorry for my english :)  

Isa 

6 replies
kyliecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyliecake Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 10:39am
post #2 of 7

maybe Wicked Goodies can help you?  Are you out their today Wicked Goodies?

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 10:55am
post #3 of 7

AAre your gel colours oil based? you can buy specific oil based food colour for use with chocolate, it works very well, I buy it from ebay.

TartasImposible Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks to you both! So, that's the problem: I used water-based colors, I didn`t know I needed to use oil-based colors for dyeing chocolate! What a relief! Amazon has this type of colors too and cheap :D

And thanks so much for that useful web, Wicked Goodies has lots of tutorials and tips related to modelling chocolate stuff.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 11:10pm
post #5 of 7

Kylie is correct!!  two words  'WICKED GOODIES'

A search of CC.com for coloring modeling chocolate will get you started.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 11:16pm
post #6 of 7

You need to use oil based or powdered colors to mix with the modeling chocolate.  Good luck!

TartasImposible Posted 13 Feb 2014 , 8:28pm
post #7 of 7

Hi and thanks so much all of you! So, that's the problem: I used water-based colours. I didn't know modelling chocolate needs oil-based ones. I've found a cheap pack on Amazon.co.uk to start. Thanks!

And what a surprise: wicked goodies is amazing! Has all about modelling chocolate: problems, recipes and lots of tips so I'm eager to start learning!

Thanks, thanks, thanks!! :D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%