Bulging Middles On Stacked Cakes

Decorating By Libertycake Updated 9 Feb 2014 , 12:41am by Libertycake

Libertycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Libertycake Posted 8 Feb 2014 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 5

Why do my decorated cakes have the middle bulge where the two layers meet.  Butter cream, fondant, it doesn't matter.  I am looking at a cake now with smooth fondant and now it has the middle bulge.  I reduced the amount of icing in the middle, I didn't spread the filling to the edge.  CAN ANYONE SOLVE THIS PROBLEM FOR ME?

4 replies
NJsugarmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NJsugarmama Posted 8 Feb 2014 , 10:34pm
post #2 of 5

AYou still must be putting in too much filling. I don't dam my cakes, but I do tort my layers so I can have a better cake to filling ratio. I generally have 4-5 cake layers, depending on the tier size. Since I've switched to doing this...among other changes...I have not had the bulging problem since.

Another thing that I always do is let my tier settle overnight or a few hours after I have filled it. I do this by placing an empty cake pan of the same size with pie weights on top of the cake. Another member, I think Leah, uses ceramic tiles.

Another suggestion I'd like to point out is to give ganaching under your fondant a try. For me, it's sturdier under the fondant and may help keep your cake from bulging.

Lastly, be sure you are rolling your fondant out as thin as possible. A thicker fondant will definitely weigh down on your cake, eventually pushing out the filling.

Best of luck.

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 8 Feb 2014 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 5

AMake sure cake layers are level Make sure filling layer is level Pipe dam so it is sitting ON the layer, not hanging off the edge Let cakes settle after filling and before final icing

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Feb 2014 , 12:15am
post #4 of 5

AYou need to 1) not overfill and 2) let the cake settle. Lots of threads on settling.

Libertycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Libertycake Posted 9 Feb 2014 , 12:41am
post #5 of 5

THANK YOU for the fast responses.  You are right,I usually have this problem when I am on a tight time limit.  I will also try all you suggestions.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%