Going From Hobby To Business, Sequence Of Legitimacy?

Business By CraterCakes Updated 11 Feb 2014 , 4:10pm by AnnieCahill

CraterCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CraterCakes Posted 8 Feb 2014 , 12:39pm
post #1 of 3

I bake for friends right now, but thinking to expand it. I've combed through my lease, and there aren't any clauses restricting me from using my apartment. I've read through the cottage rules of Illinois (http://cottagefoods.org/laws/usa/illinois), but where to start?


I have to register with the health department.

I need a tax ID number.

I need insurance.

I need a class about sanitation.

Maybe more?


Is there a normal sequence to doing these?


Any help is greatly appreciated.


PS, I don't want to use a commercial kitchen unless necessary.. I already have a job so I don't plan on doing more than 3-4 weekly.

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Feb 2014 , 2:01pm
post #2 of 3

as best as i can tell from perusing the law--just as a fellow cake person--you need to check locally with your county health department--


and as i understand it--you can direct sell at farmer's markets only--it does not seem to allow for decorated cakes--


not sure about illinois but in tennessee decorated cake comes under catering--different localities will use the cfl to allow for decorated cake but this law is not written for it--it's all in how it's interpreted at the individual county level--


best to you

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 11 Feb 2014 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 3

Start with the county/city/municipality in which you live.  They will guide you through the whole process.  You will need to contact the department dealing with business licenses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%