Fondant Help - Looking To Create A Sugar Doily For Tea

Decorating By polkahots Updated 7 Feb 2014 , 8:56pm by LeanneW

polkahots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
polkahots Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 4:52am
post #1 of 4

Hi all,

I've been inspired by a post on Pinterest to make these lace sugar doilies to float in cups of tea. Apparently the image that is circulating, however, is from an Etsy shop where the owner is using the SugarVeil system to create these. I'm an avid home cook and baker, but by no means am I a professional, thus I can't justify purchasing the SugarVeil system, nor am I able to figure out if there is a way to make something similar using fondant. I was inspired by this post on The Cake Blog to make homemade fondant doilies for cake decorating, but I don't know how fondant would hold up for this project. Does fondant dissolve in hot water? Would it make the tea cloudy? Oily? Would it float or sink? I have no problem with making smaller doilies than the ones I initially saw on Etsy to make up for the fact that my homemade version would not have as many cutouts/would be more sugar, but I guess I'm looking for opinions as to whether this would even possibly work and suggestions as to how I'd execute it. I was looking at Fondarific fondant online because it seems to get such great reviews for taste, but I'm concerned that it all seems flavored as "buttercream" or "vanilla." I'd be hoping more for just a general sweet/sugar flavor as you'd expect in tea.

Any insight/advice?

Thank you!!

All the best,

Jessica

3 replies
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 4

I didn't take time to watch this, but it sounds like it might be helpful:

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 4

i think you'd have more success piping the pattern with royal icing or white chocolate. I'd go with the chocolate, myself. It might not be as elaborate, but it will be tastier.

tutorial here:

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 4

That is Sugarveil lace made from this lace mat: http://www.sugarveil.com/mat/sugarveil-mat.htm

It dries like a hard fruit leather, and would take a while to dissolve, unlike royal icing, which would melt right away

When the Sugarveil is still pliable you can cut it with scissors into the doilies.

Alternatively you can pipe Sugarviel mix into any pattern you like, as the mat is quite expensive. Although with the mat you could make like 9 at a time very easily.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%