White Chocolate Buttercream Help

Baking By zeus_81280 Updated 8 Feb 2014 , 12:25am by AnnieCahill

zeus_81280 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zeus_81280 Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 3:03am
post #1 of 5

Hello I am going to be making the below recipe. i have a few questions. 

1) the customer would like the icing to be minty and also like a mint green..can i just add some pepermint extract and how much for this amount of icing. 

2) I have only made this once before but it was for a cake that was going to be refrigerated until served. This new cake im making is going to be a three tier cake covered in fondant.. Now i know that this icing have a bit of milk in it will i have to refrigerate this because of that. I really dont have the room in my fridge once its all put together. 

3) if this does have to be refrigerated does someone have a White Chocolate mint butter cream recipe that doesn't 

White Chocolate Buttercream Icing 

Ingredients: 
18 ounces (3 6 ounce pkgs) white baking chocolate coarsely chopped 
1/4 cup milk 
1 cup solid vegetable shortening 
1 cup butter or margarine 
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract 
8 cups confectioners' sugar 
1/4 cup milk 

Thank you so much 

the recipe has milk on there twice because the first step is to thin out the chocolate with a 1/4 cup milk

4 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 3:17am
post #2 of 5

Looks like you're going to make white chocolate ganache and White American ButterCream, and mix them together with a dash of mint extract.

I don't refrigerate cakes covered with these coatings, but then I don't sell them either.  I also don't make ganache with milk. 

zeus_81280 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zeus_81280 Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 3:18am
post #3 of 5

how would you make a white chocolate buttercream.. do you have a recipe? I can use something else if you have a better way to do it? 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 3:33am
post #4 of 5

I tried it once and the whole white chocolate flavor in the buttercream was so faint that it  just washed out.  Threw the recipe out and didn't try it again.

Real quality white chocolate plus shipping cost is too expensive for me to waste.  But boy oh boy do I make Modeling Chocolate out of it........WooHooo.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 8 Feb 2014 , 12:25am
post #5 of 5

AWhite chocolate is very elusive. I would add more chocolate and cut back on the sugar. Don't overdo it with the peppermint extract. Start with 1/2 teaspoon and go from there, also kill the vanilla. No it won't need to be refrigerated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%