Edible Paper, Will It Dissolve?

Decorating By ria123 Updated 18 Oct 2014 , 6:43pm by yste

ria123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ria123 Posted 5 Feb 2014 , 2:12pm
post #1 of 7

Hi, I am making a cake that looks like a glass and it is going to have an edible print stuck to it. 

I want to glaze the cake to make it shiny. 

Can someone tell me please, will I need to glaze the cake before I put the edible paper on? 

I'm not sure if the glaze will dissolve the image if I put it on after?

Thank you

6 replies
LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 7:00pm
post #2 of 7

What are you using to glaze the cake to make it shiny?

I think piping gel and corn syrup would dissolve the image, or at least make the colors run. But I have never tried it with confectioner's glaze. Do you have a piece you can do a test on? That's probably the best thing to do. Let us know what works and what doesn't.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 11:13pm
post #3 of 7

Applying piping gel to it will help, but it will never really dissolve enough to not be seen. At least that was my experience many yreas ago when using it.

ria123 Posted 8 Feb 2014 , 4:38pm
post #4 of 7

I was going to use either one of those ready to use glaze sprays or liquid glucose mixed with alcohol.

I wanted to stick the image on first and then glaze the whole cake, but thought that might dissolve the image? I might have to glaze the cake first and then stick the edible print on?

I don't have a spare piece to test it on so I was hoping someone on here might know the answer?

Thank you for your replies :)

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 8 Feb 2014 , 4:55pm
post #5 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by ria123 

I was going to use either one of those ready to use glaze sprays or liquid glucose mixed with alcohol.

I would definitely use the spray glaze. It is not water soluble, just like the confectioner's glaze in a bottle. It will not make the image bleed, as the image is water soluble color! I use CK confectioner's glaze with the thinner and a paint brush, but I guess you are using this:http://www.countrykitchensa.com/shop/cake-decorating-supplies/pme-edible-glaze-spray-clear/38/596/150/638616/

If you want the image to be shiny, put it on first, then spray.

Good luck!

ria123 Posted 8 Feb 2014 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeanneW 

I would definitely use the spray glaze. It is not water soluble, just like the confectioner's glaze in a bottle. It will not make the image bleed, as the image is water soluble color! I use CK confectioner's glaze with the thinner and a paint brush, but I guess you are using this:http://www.countrykitchensa.com/shop/cake-decorating-supplies/pme-edible-glaze-spray-clear/38/596/150/638616/

If you want the image to be shiny, put it on first, then spray.

Good luck!

Thank you.

Yes that is the glaze spray I usually use, I will give that a try and hope it works.

Thanks for the info, fingers crossed for the 28th! x

yste Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yste Posted 18 Oct 2014 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 7

AHi, can you please give us update on your edible image. i would like to know if the spray glaze works. Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%