Starting A Business In Victoria

Business By cakesajd Updated 5 Feb 2014 , 12:34pm by kyliecake

cakesajd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesajd Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 4:43am
post #1 of 5

ACan anyone give me any pointers on registering my cake decorating business with my local council. Just starting out and would like some pointers

We have a couch in our kitchen, will this affect my registration? Any other requirements people have found they had to adjust/change with their kitchen

Thanks

4 replies
scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 7:33am
post #2 of 5

There are a lot of Victorias, you will need to be a bit more specific :)
The best people to contact about these questions are your local health dept though, they will know the ins and outs of your county/municipality better than any of us, most likely.

cakesajd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesajd Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 7:58am
post #3 of 5

ASorry victoria australia :)

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 11:52am
post #4 of 5

Contact your local Council - they will direct you in everything you need to do

kyliecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyliecake Posted 5 Feb 2014 , 12:34pm
post #5 of 5

Hi, I want to start up in Victoria also so I contacted my local council.  You need to speak to the Health Department in your council.  They give you a bit of general advice, but encourage you to put in plans first (with a $250 fee) before they will really look at it.  The biggest hurdles are you need a hand washing facility in your kitchen as well as a double sink for  dish washing.  you also need a separate fridge, good storage and no pets or children in your kitchen!!  The handwashing thing is a problem for me.  i have a bathroom (no toilet, it is at the other end of the house), just off the kitchen/meals area, but they said that wasn't good enough.

let me know how you go with your council.

the whole process is putting me off at the moment.  I am thinking about hiring out my friend's registered kitchen to bake cakes, and just decorate from home.  i do want to do it all legally but maybe one step at a time and i thought that could be a good compromise.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%