Crystallized Flowers!

Decorating By CupcakesbyJade Updated 4 Feb 2014 , 12:41am by sugarflorist

CupcakesbyJade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakesbyJade Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 12:13am
post #1 of 2

AHi all!

I'm looking for advice on a subject I have no yet attempted. I have a friend that would like crystallized flowers on cupcakes for her wedding shower. What types of flowers do you use? Are they all edible or are they just discarded? Is this a process that I should charge extra for? TIA, Jade

1 reply
sugarflorist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarflorist Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 12:41am
post #2 of 2

AHere is a list of edible flowers. Almond blossom Apple blossom Chamomile Cherry blossom Daisy Heartsease Japonica Lemon balm Marjoram primrose Mint and all herbs Violet Carnation Cornflower Evening primrose Hibiscus Hyssop Jasmine Marigold Rose It is a long time since I have crystallised flowers but then I have not had a garden to speak of for 15 years. Flowers should be picked as they open after the dew has dried. Know your flower source because they should not have been sprayed with insecticide.check the blooms for insect life and remove them with a paint brush. Add 2 teaspoons of water to one egg white and lightly beat. Using a soft paint brush paint the underside of the bloom first using the egg white. Then sprinkle with caster sugar the do the top of the bloom. Place grease proof paper on a wire tray and allow the blooms to dry for 24 hours. Once dry store them between tissue paper in an air tight box they can keep for up to about 8 weeks. Meaning they can be prepared when the flowers are in season.

I am guessing that all flowers from florists shops will have been sprayed. So it might be a good idea to grow you own

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%