Ivory Coloured Ruffles On Cake.

Decorating By beckybakes617 Updated 5 Feb 2014 , 10:34pm by sixinarow

beckybakes617 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckybakes617 Posted 3 Feb 2014 , 12:53pm
post #1 of 25

I will be doing my first wedding cake this year. The bride-to-be wants it ivory in colour. I'm doing ruffles around each tier in gumpaste and I'm wondering what the best method would be to colour it ivory?

I have heard of  tiniting the white gumpaste, in ivory edible dust, which I think sounds like a good as I'm not too keen on kneading the gumpaste too much, however if that's a better method I can do that. Is it possible to buy gumpaste already in the ivory colour?

Many thanks 

24 replies
sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 3 Feb 2014 , 1:22pm
post #2 of 25

Is there a reason you have decided to use gumpaste instead of fondant?

beckybakes617 Posted 3 Feb 2014 , 1:44pm
post #3 of 25

I thought gumpaste would be better as I'll be rolling it out very thin? Or maybe, would you suggest tylose powder mixed with ivory fondant?

sixinarow Posted 3 Feb 2014 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 25

You really don't need to add anything to your fondant, on all my ruffle cakes, I just use straight fondant. If you use a soft fondant, after you ruffle the edges with your ball tool, just let it set a few minutes before applying the strips to your fondant covered cake. Color as you usually would! :)

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 3 Feb 2014 , 8:02pm
post #5 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixinarow 

You really don't need to add anything to your fondant, on all my ruffle cakes, I just use straight fondant. If you use a soft fondant, after you ruffle the edges with your ball tool, just let it set a few minutes before applying the strips to your fondant covered cake. Color as you usually would! :)

This.  I'm no expert on ruffles, but I would think it unwise to wrap your cake in a product that has an eggshell consistency that will shatter when cut into.  Fondant will be a good deal easier to cut, and taste better as well.

beckybakes617 Posted 3 Feb 2014 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 25

Thank you, I hadn't thought of this. So would you advise on not even mixing tylose power with regular fondant, surely it would be quite tricky to wrap the ruffle strip around the cake?

cakeyouverymuch Posted 3 Feb 2014 , 10:18pm
post #7 of 25

Just for myself, I'd probably use a mix of modelling chocolate and fondant or even just modelling chocolate Check out wickedgoodies on this site).  If using straight fondant leaving it a few minutes to firm up before applying (as sixinarow suggested) would probably take care of any issues with manipulating the ruffle to wrap around the cake.

sixinarow Posted 3 Feb 2014 , 10:34pm
post #8 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by beckybakes617 

Thank you, I hadn't thought of this. So would you advise on not even mixing tylose power with regular fondant, surely it would be quite tricky to wrap the ruffle strip around the cake?

Nope, I've done several ruffle cakes and have used straight fondant on all of them. :)Green ombre ruffles with gumpaste dogwoods and leaves on this pretty little cake.

cakeyouverymuch Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 12:32am
post #9 of 25

@ sixinarow,

I especially love the cake on the bottom left.  Are the beaded tiers a mold?

sixinarow Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 12:43am
post #10 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakeyouverymuch 

@ sixinarow,

I especially love the cake on the bottom left.  Are the beaded tiers a mold?

Thank you! The pearls are a mold about 10 inches long. I had a sore thumb for days after squishing fondant into that silly thing. The price of caking! :wink:

cakeyouverymuch Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 2:26am
post #11 of 25

Quote:

Thank you! The pearls are a mold about 10 inches long. I had a sore thumb for days after squishing fondant into that silly thing. The price of caking! :wink:

I can imagine.  That cake had to be a labor of love.  Have you ever tried the fluorescent light cover for rolling out your fondant?

sixinarow Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 3:21am
post #12 of 25

Quote:

I can imagine.  That cake had to be a labor of love.  Have you ever tried the fluorescent light cover for rolling out your fondant?

I've never tried that -- you mean the semi-circle thing?

cakeyouverymuch Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 3:40am
post #13 of 25

Quote:

I've never tried that -- you mean the semi-circle thing?

Not sure what the "semi-circle thing" is, lol (that's an lol at myself).  The fluorescent light cover is those flat textured panels that cover fluorescent light fixtures.  They come in different textures.  I used one here:

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3160668/a/3437693/fudge-in-cake/

The one I have gives a very small bubble effect.  I'm looking for one with a larger pattern that will be deeper and more bead-like.  I have a second one that gives the fondant a crackle aspect, somewhat like frost on a windowpane.

sixinarow Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 3:53am
post #14 of 25

Quote:

Not sure what the "semi-circle thing" is, lol (that's an lol at myself).  The fluorescent light cover is those flat textured panels that cover fluorescent light fixtures.  They come in different textures.  I used one here:

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3160668/a/3437693/fudge-in-cake/

The one I have gives a very small bubble effect.  I'm looking for one with a larger pattern that will be deeper and more bead-like.  I have a second one that gives the fondant a crackle aspect, somewhat like frost on a windowpane.

WHATTTT?!?! :-o Love that -- now I must drive to the hardware store in the middle of our blizzard to get these covers! Love the texture, very cool! 

cakeyouverymuch Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 4:39am
post #15 of 25
Quote:

WHATTTT?!?! :-o Love that -- now I must drive to the hardware store in the middle of our blizzard to get these covers! Love the texture, very cool! 

First saw it here:

http://nyccakegirl.com/2011/08/16/how-to-decorate-a-sweet-wedding-cake-really-this-is-a-step-by-step/

I couldn't believe that I could use a technique used by Ron ben Israel, just by going to the hardware store.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 6:36am
post #16 of 25

AThose are not food-safe!

beckybakes617 Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 12:43pm
post #17 of 25

sixinarow wow, they're really inspirational! I hope that mine is going to look like the one on the bottom right. Which fondant did you use? I'm in the uk so only limited choice! Have been using satin ice in the gumpaste but wilton in fondant which I didn't like working with, may try using satin ice in the fondant though. Also did you start from the top down?

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 1:07pm
post #18 of 25

I'm also in the UK, and you can get pre-coloured ivory fondant from Hobbycraft, or colour white fondant yourself.  Hobbycraft stock Renshaw's, which is fine.  I've also used Squire's Kitchen that I bought from my local cake shop and it was really lovely to work with.  I think you can buy their's online too.

I used Renshaw's white for this cake:

IMG_6267.jpg

I had no problems with it at all.  I rolled out six strips at a time, and by the time I'd finished ruffling the last one, the first one was set enough to apply without difficulty.  I also used their ivory fondant coloured for this cake:

A simple ombre effect with frills and flowers.

nikki1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1227 Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 1:38pm
post #19 of 25

My first wedding cake was also ivory ruffles. I made white chocolate MMF, you already have that "ivory" color when using white choc. I then added just a bit of ivory color to it.  I used just sWedding cake I did for my cousin's niece. The topper isn't on yet.traight fondant for the ruffles after covering the cake in the fondant.

nikki1227 Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 1:44pm
post #20 of 25

Sorry that pic is so big, I did a copy and paste and wow..it's huge!

sixinarow Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 4:48pm
post #21 of 25

A

Original message sent by beckybakes617

[COLOR=404040]sixinarow wow, they're really inspirational! I hope that mine is going to look like the one on the bottom right. Which fondant did you use? I'm in the uk so only limited choice! Have been using satin ice in the gump[/COLOR][COLOR=404040]aste but wilton in fondant which I didn't like working with, may try using satin ice in the fondant though. Also did you start from the top down?[/COLOR]

I usually make my own using a variation of MFF but any fondant will work. As othersI have mentioned, cut and ruffle several at a time. But if it's stiff fondant like the wilton, apply the strips right after you ruffle it so it doesn't crack when you apply. Work from top to bottom, it's easy to break the ruffles after they're dry when you move it to stack so be gentle. I love ruffles- have fun!

sixinarow Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 4:51pm
post #22 of 25

A

Original message sent by nikki1227

Sorry that pic is so big, I did a copy and paste and wow..it's huge!

You can choose small, medium or large image when you upload to a post. But it's automatically set to large. :)

nikki1227 Posted 5 Feb 2014 , 1:42pm
post #23 of 25

It was definately set to LARGE lol thanks!

cakeyouverymuch Posted 5 Feb 2014 , 5:57pm
post #24 of 25

Actually, the large photo is helpful in that it offers a close up of how it is done.  Thank you.

sixinarow Posted 5 Feb 2014 , 10:34pm
post #25 of 25

If you click on the pictures, it blows them up larger so you can see details also. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%