Toy Story Cake

Decorating By Nic Fury Updated 2 Feb 2014 , 9:06pm by Nic Fury

Nic Fury Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nic Fury Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 11:35pm
post #1 of 11

I have an order for this exact cake, but I'm not sure how much to charge for it. Do I charge per serving? It seems like a lot. She said she has the characters already, too.

10 replies
Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 12:24am
post #2 of 11

AWhat do you mean by "it seems like a lot"? A lot of stuff? A lot of servings? A lot of money?

Once you take all the characters off, it's a pretty simple cake.

Nic Fury Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 1:14am
post #3 of 11

It seems like a lot of money if I charge per serving.

Sassyzan Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 1:34am
post #4 of 11

AA lot of servings means a lot of money. Don't get sticker shock at your own prices! Stand by your work and the value of it!

Nic Fury Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 2:19am
post #5 of 11

Should I charge per serving then? I haven't done a lot of larger serving cakes, so the price is not totally set for me and I'm always second guessing it.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 2:55am
post #6 of 11

You ARE charging per serving regardless if you give her a flat price for the cake or tell her what the price is based on how many servings you tell her the cake will yield.

For example, let's say a cake (not the one in the pic, I'm just giving an example) will serve 30 people.  You can either tell the cake is $90 or you can say it's $3 per serving, which still works out to $90.

Sassyzan Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 2:27pm
post #7 of 11

AExactly. Your price is a reflection of supplies, ingredients, overhead, labor, etc. Whether you decide to quote the customer a per serving or per cake rate is up to you.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 2:47pm
post #8 of 11

I'ts basically the same thing (as others have said) , plus if the client is providing the characters your price won't be as high. 

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 7:49pm
post #9 of 11

How did you charge for the cakes before that? Is this your first paid order?

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 9:05pm
post #10 of 11

A

Original message sent by Nic Fury

Should I charge per serving then? I haven't done a lot of larger serving cakes, so the price is not totally set for me and I'm always second guessing it.

But how do you feel about the price when you're done decorating and cleaning up? Did it pay well, after all the costs were subtracted and you can calculate what you put in your pocket? Cause I certainly have never sat back and said "gosh, that was easy, I totally overcharged on that one!"

Nic Fury Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 9:06pm
post #11 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 

How did you charge for the cakes before that? Is this your first paid order?

Most of my orders are for sheets, small tiers, or other treats, so I'm more secure with those set prices. I've only had a couple  larger cakes & the pricing just seems high, but I guess it's just me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%