Can I 'glue' My Cake Back Together And What Do I Use To Do So?

Decorating By bubs1stbirthday Updated 2 Feb 2014 , 6:00pm by LeanneW

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 8:30am
post #1 of 6

I just made an orange cake - which tastes really good BUT when I put it in the oven I forgot to put baking paper in the bottom of the pan and so of course it stuck, despite my best efforts to get it out in one piece the cake came out in one main piece and 3 or 4 pieces smaller pieces from the bottom.. I pieced it back together, wrapped it and popped it in the freezer to worry about later (I was doing it to use as a practice run for my Bubba's birthday cake (three layers - Chocolate with a hint if orange on bottom, orange in the middle and the chocolate again for the top separated with Jaffa buttercream (or maybe ganache)). Can anyone suggest how to 'glue it together effectively or whether I should just start over baking another cake.

Thankyou.

5 replies
cupcakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemaker Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 9:08am
post #2 of 6

AYep just use buttercream :)

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 3:14pm
post #3 of 6

I saved a carrot cake at Christmas , just using the icing to glue it. It worked great. It was for family use. If had been for client, I would have baked it over. In Wilton class, I helped student save her one layer . It just fell all apart. We glued it with buttercream. Two tier. She was able to decorate it very pretty. Don,t know if it fell apart going home. I froze my carrot cake as I worked with it. hth

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 6

I just press the piece(s) together and keep decorating. One bakery where I once worked always butchered their cakes and they used this method, too. Many of those cakes were sold by the slice and the slices held up well.  

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 6

Thankyou all for the helpful replies - I think I will try Mimi's idea first, as it is made with orange juice it is a little 'sticky' so I might get away with that especially as it is the  middle layer so it will be sandwhiched with buttercream on both sides. Thankyou again :) 

Beck.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 6:00pm
post #6 of 6

Hopefully my advice isn't too late, but... I would use white chocolate ganache instead of BC to glue it back together.

When the ganache sets, even at room temperature, it will hold together better than BC.

And I agree, if this were a cake for a client, or even a cake that you were going to stack or carve, I would bake another one. But your family will be quite happy to eat your repair job I'm sure! My family would even eat it in a pile with the BC blobbed on top. It sounds delicious.

Worst case, if you can't put it back together is to make a trifle, layered with whipped cream and whatever else you like, or cake pops.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%