Can Cheesecake Layer Cake Sit Out On Counter???

Decorating By KrispyKareem Updated 31 Jan 2014 , 11:52am by KrispyKareem

KrispyKareem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrispyKareem Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 2:04am
post #1 of 5

I was planning on baking a cake that is 2 layers chocolate, and 1 layer cheesecake. I need to bake and decorate it on Saturday evening (Chocolate cream cheese icing, chocolate ganache), and it will be served Sunday evening. I'm afraid that refrigerating it will cause the cake the dry out. Can I leave it on the counter in an airtight container, or should I put it in the refrigerator overnight then take it out a few hours before to get to room temperature? 

Also, another question... Once ganache hardens on a cake and you take it out of the fridge, does it form condensation? I was planning on using a stencil and powder sugar to make a design on top of the cake.

4 replies
Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 2:41am
post #2 of 5

Cheesecake is basically a cooked custard, if you think about it. So no, you can't leave a custard out over night. Technically the health dept. rules are 4 hours at room temp. than throw it out. hth

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 2:48am
post #3 of 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrispyKareem 

Also, another question... Once ganache hardens on a cake and you take it out of the fridge, does it form condensation? I was planning on using a stencil and powder sugar to make a design on top of the cake.

That's hard to say. Sometimes any food has condensation from the refrigerator and sometimes not. I don't know the exact scientific reason for condensation but a google search would probably tell you....and from that you would try to avoid having any.

But if you do have condensation all you have to do is wait until it warms up and that will dry and evaporate. You could use paper towels to dry it too (if it's an iced ganache, not a poured ganache).

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 2:49am
post #4 of 5

Condensation depends on how humid the air is. If there's any humidity, it will form condensation, and you'll need to wait until it comes back to room temp, and dries, before doing a stencil.

KrispyKareem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrispyKareem Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 11:52am
post #5 of 5

AThank you both!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%