What Type Of Icing Is The Store Bought Stuff?

Baking By AmbitiousBeginner Updated 28 Jun 2014 , 6:55pm by SweetOutlaws

AmbitiousBeginner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmbitiousBeginner Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 6:32pm
post #1 of 11

This may seem like an odd question, but after trying all the different frostings/icings/buttercreams/ganaches I've made my husband still insists that the store bought icing is his favorite (which I don't understand!)  I think the homemade stuff (any kind) tastes better than the canned stuff, but he doesn't agree.  He wants me to "just make regular icing, like the kind from the store".  My question to all of you is:  What type of icing is it? Do I need to use Crisco instead of only butter?  Not sure what "regular icing" is!

If this makes sense to anyone, please help out.  Thanks!

10 replies
mermaidcakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mermaidcakery Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 11

AMy husband says the same thing! I feel like the canned stuff resembles American buttercream the most, but denser. Try not sifting your powdered sugar, and maybe not mixing as long. But it will never be exactly the same, it's missing that preservative taste.

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 7:40pm
post #3 of 11

AI think it is most like ABC, but I don't know if it's possible to replicate the full chemical artificial taste and mouth feel of store-bought frosting with real-food kind of ingredients! You might need a lab instead of a kitchen! Lol!

AmbitiousBeginner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmbitiousBeginner Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 11

THANK YOU!  I told my husband that it might not be possible because I don't have access to all the chemicals/preservatives!  I don't know how that makes it taste better?!

I already don't sift the sugar.  Maybe not mixing as much will help.  and maybe Crisco

It might be better/easier to just by it when making a cake for him

Thanks!

mermaidcakery Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 9:27pm
post #5 of 11

AI asked my hubby about your question. He said it's the mouth feel of the canned frosting. It's what he grew up with, so that's how he expects it to taste. I actually think the crisco would make it less like the canned stuff, because it's lighter. Canned is so dense and gooey. Maybe you could mix your frosting with canned stuff and gradually wean him off

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 9:39pm
post #6 of 11

AIt's funny how we tend to like what we are used to, not because it is better, but because it is familiar. I have a friend who makes beautiful, delicious cakes from scratch. Every year for his birthday her husband requests a frozen SaraLee cake.

mermaidcakery Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 10:32pm
post #7 of 11

ABoys. That's all I can say. Though I confess, I like my icing sweet and a bit less airy, because I'm used to that. I tried hi ratio, and couldn't stand it. But it's highly recommended on here. Taste is powerful for evoking memories.

mermaidcakery Posted 4 May 2014 , 5:04am
post #8 of 11

ABoys. That's all I can say. Though I confess, I like my icing sweet and a bit less airy, because I'm used to that. I tried hi ratio, and couldn't stand it. But it's highly recommended on here. Taste is powerful for evoking memories.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 4 May 2014 , 7:16am
post #9 of 11

try this in a small experiment:  two things. Instead of using butter, use high ratio shortening only. secondly add some corn syrup instead of adding milk/cream/liquid.   there is no real butter, milk, or cream in canned.

betcha it's pretty darned close to canned.

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 28 Jun 2014 , 6:14pm
post #10 of 11

I am a foodie and can’t believe what I am reading. People like what they grew up with, so much for telling kids to try new foods. I don’t know why this surprises me, after all isn’t McDonald’s still in business. I got used to my mother’s cooking as a child but I never learned to like something that was clearly inferior.  My mother never made a cake from scratch, at least I don’t remember her doing so, but I will take a good homemade cake over any box mix.  I also never got used to the cooked greens swimming in animal fat, or the gritty feel of cornbread in my mouth, both things that I grew up with but never liked. I was also used to instant potatoes as a child but when the real thing was fixed on thanksgivings, loved it. My husband complains about frosting being on cake, I tell him to scrap it off if I am making a practice cake. I guess there are things that I just can’t wrap around my melon.  Sorry for the rant.  If you like the canned stuff, buy it. You will not be able to make anything remotely close to the taste.

SweetOutlaws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetOutlaws Posted 28 Jun 2014 , 6:55pm
post #11 of 11

That's a tough question, luckily my husband loves the homemade icing that I make, just the other day when we were looking down the baking isle, I looked at the prices on the cans of icing, and I told him its so much cheaper to make everything from scratch then to buy the store bought stuff!

When I make my icings, I don't sift the sugar, and I usually mix to the consistency that I want it to be, then I grab a spoon and let my husband taste test.

I'm not sure what type of icing is in store bought.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%