Dj Turntable Birthday Cake :) Please Help!!!

Decorating By LyianaMarie Updated 30 Jan 2014 , 10:32pm by LeanneW

LyianaMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LyianaMarie Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 9:42am
post #1 of 2

AHi I'm new here and joined since I'm having a very hard time finding anything online to help me. I'm wanting to make a turntable cake (nothing fancy no spinning anything) but I'm a little lost on some stuff. My boyfriend's birthday is Feb 13 & I wanted to do something special & creative Will a normal 13x9 pan work since I don't need to make it to feed too many people? For the turntable part do I use a round cake pan? I need to cover the cake in grey fondant right? Then finally the details like the knobs/buttons is it best to make those out of fondant or gum paste? How do you use those? I'm not really sure lol I am such a beginner Thank you ahead of time and I'm so sorry if my wording is all wrong lol Here is the exact thing I'm attempting to make

[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3176946/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

1 reply
LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 10:32pm
post #2 of 2

Hi LyianaMarie,

You came to the right place and you are on track!

It sounds like you've actually got a lot of things figured out.

Will a normal 13x9 pan work since I don't need to make it to feed too many people?

Yes, a 13 x 9 will work and will feed a lot of people, depending on how small you slice the pieces you could get up to 45 servings out of the cake.

For the turntable part do I use a round cake pan?

You could certainly bake an 8-inch round cake, in one layer and use it for the turntable part. Or, if you don't need more cake and don't want to add more height, you could just cut an 8-inch disk of black fondant and place it on top.

I need to cover the cake in grey fondant right?

Yes, grey fondant or buttercream. Do you know where to buy fondant? You can get Wilton or Duff brand Fondant at craft stores like Hobby Lobby, Michaels, or even Walmart in the craft section.

Then finally the details like the knobs/buttons is it best to make those out of fondant or gum paste?

You can make the knobs out of either fondant or gumpaste. Both can be molded into shapes just like clay or playdoh. They dry out quickly so always keep your unused fondant or gumpaste in an airtight container or bag. I would recommend that you make these pieces ahead of time, like asap, and set them aside to dry out, that way they will be easier to place on your cake. You can "glue" them onto your cake with a tiny dab on corn syrup, or even water. For the arm of the turntable, roll a "snake" or "rope" out of fondant, lay it flat, like on a cookie sheet, and bend it into the shape of the arm, then leave it to dry for a couple days. Dry fondant and gumpaste are fragile, so maybe make a few extras just in case you have some breakage.

Good luck! and post pictures when you are done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%