Fondant Brand To Use With Ganache?

Decorating By bpcbutterfly Updated 30 Jan 2014 , 10:28pm by Snowflakebunny23

bpcbutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bpcbutterfly Posted 29 Jan 2014 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 4

hi- i've had a lot of problems covering ganached cakes- i get tears and air bubbles!! I'm brushing the set ganache with hot water before covering, and have been using satin ice. I'm kneading the fondant a lot, as i'm coloring it. I would think the coloring process is enough kneading.

Should i be using something else?

3 replies
cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 29 Jan 2014 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 4

AAre you rolling your fondant big enough? Also I find when layering your fondant on the cake slowly lay it down. Start from the top and lay it down to the bottom if that makes sense, so all the air gets pushed out. I used satin ice and didn't have any problems HTH :-)

bsy bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bsy bug Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 4

AYou may very likely be using too much water on your ganache. I find that I don't need to use any water and my fondant sticks nicely to the ganache. HTH.

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 10:28pm
post #4 of 4

AI've never used hot water, just either hot water which has been cooled or an alcohol (I was worried the warmth would melt my ganache and cause divvets). Also, where abouts is it tearing? When I first started using ganache, I had issues with it tearing at the top edges...it took a few attempts to realise that the edges are usually much sharper with ganache so less forgiving. Just being more gentle when putting on the fondant on and supporting the weight of the edges a bit better so it isn't all held on the corner... Xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%