How Do I Carve My Cakes Evenly To Get These 2 Different Corset Shapes Shown Below?

Decorating By pastrymaniac Updated 31 Jan 2014 , 6:27pm by pastrymaniac

pastrymaniac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrymaniac Posted 28 Jan 2014 , 4:54am
post #1 of 7

Hi fellow cake decorators,

I have this cake design that I LOVE and I would really like to try something with a similar shape. I think

it´s what people call the corset shape but I don´t quite know how to carve the cake like that. I admit this cake has been intringuing me for quite a while now.

Here is the link for the cake:

http://www.juxtapost.com/site/permlink/b3e7bd10-f94b-11e1-a213-29c42dde7254/post/white_and_gold_elegance_wedding_cake/

One thing I noticed is that the bottom tier has a completely different shape when compared to the high deep cake covered in white lace in the center.

First question:

How is the bottom tier carved to get that even curvy look all around? Cause with this one I don´t even have a clue!!

Second question:

Regarding the corset shaped deep cake with the white lace should I carve two round cakes like they were going to be topsy turvy ones and join them to get that look?

I have been wondering if  I carve two round tiers from scratch until they have a wider top and a base that is like 2 inches more narrow (like for a topsy turvy but without creating a slope on the top of the cakes, keeping the tops straight) and then attaching the two cakes together so that they join where their base is narrow... would I get it that way?

Opinions and suggestions greatly appreciated !  This one is really bugging me ;)

Thanks in advance everyone :)

Best wishes

6 replies
sugarflorist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarflorist Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 1:11pm
post #2 of 7

I have not made this type of design but this post has been around a while without a response so it got me thinking about how i would tackle it

I would cut a template that you place against the cake taking off a little at a time. if you need to build up any areas i would use the off cuts make crumbs bind them with butter cream and fill. 

I am sure that if this is way off track that some one will jump in and offer a better way ;-D

kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 1:28pm
post #3 of 7

I would take a single cake (or stacked depending on the height you want), put a small size cake board on top and cut the cake from the top board to the bottom board giving you that slant.  After doing the same with a second cake, flip one over to put on the top of the other.

There is also a good craftsy class for wedding cake designs that does a corset shape. 

sugarflorist Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 1:46pm
post #4 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkmcmahan 

I would take a single cake (or stacked depending on the height you want), put a small size cake board on top and cut the cake from the top board to the bottom board giving you that slant.  After doing the same with a second cake, flip one over to put on the top of the other.

There is also a good craftsy class for wedding cake designs that does a corset shape. 

that sounds easier than my suggestion;-D

kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 1:50pm
post #5 of 7

Your way is good too, it's given pastrymaniac a couple of options to try.

sugarflorist Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 1:58pm
post #6 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkmcmahan 

Your way is good too, it's given pastrymaniac a couple of options to try.

the one thing i have learned with cake decorating is that there are dozens of ways to do everything 

pastrymaniac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrymaniac Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 6:27pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for you reply sugarflorist, that seems like a very good tip to try.

Thank you very much kkmcmahan, the way you suggest is the same I was wondering about and that I tried to explain in my post (carving 2 cakes like they were going to be topsy turvy and joining them together at the narrow bases) I am glad that makes sense to you too. I will most certainly attend that Craftsy class, I have attended several others but not that one ;)

Best wishes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%