3 Tier Wedding Cake - Carrot With Cream Cheese Icing

Decorating By kiwisteph Updated 26 Jan 2014 , 12:24am by kiwisteph

kiwisteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwisteph Posted 25 Jan 2014 , 11:51pm
post #1 of 2

Hi everyone

I've been reading a few of the discussions and got some great tips about icing or frosting I should say here I guess. Also been helpful with tips on transporting etc. So thank you for your wonderful posts :D

I've been asked to make a 3 tier cake for my friends wedding and she only wants cream cheese icing.

I'm not in charge of the baking as another friend is doing that - thats a whole other dilemma communicating baking times, cake sizes and what I need ready and when as I only have the day before the wedding to get it decorated. Anyway I digress…..

My questions/need advice are:

1. I have just made a batch of Edna's crusting cream cheese buttercream for a trial of how it works. My concern is that it is very sweet and seems to lose the "cream cheese" flavour that standard cream cheese icing has. Is there anything I can do to have a cheesier flavour?

I didn't want to use standard cream cheese icing as I am scared it will slip/melt off even in a sort time frame between fridge to cutting/serving. Is that correct?

2. I have to deliver the cake approximately 0.5mile to the venue. Should I still put a central dowel in it if I want to stack it at home?

If I stack at the venue instead is it hard to stack softer iced cakes like this than fondant ones and is it likely I might bump the icing a lot doing it?

I am leaning against stacking it at the venue as a beginner I don't want to have a drama trying to stack it and fix up icing there, i'd rather have it done in the peace and quiet of the house. It won't have much decoration on it, just ribbons and a few flowers etc.

3. I was planning to store the whole cake in the fridge overnight and deliver in the morning - is this ok? How far in advance should I tell the venue to take it out of their fridge to put on display.

I'll prob have more questions as the time gets closer, but thank you in advance for helping a novice wedding cake decorator. This is my first wedding cake (done other tiered cakes but weren't as important) so want to do it right even though they are pretty relaxed about it all and just appreciate it's saving them money.

1 reply
kiwisteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwisteph Posted 26 Jan 2014 , 12:23am
post #2 of 2

Couldn't figure out how to edit my first post :( no little pencil to edit like on this one

Oops made a mistake I didn't use Edna's recipe I used this one

http://www.cakeartisan.com/2009/01/crusting-cream-cheese-buttercream/

Should I try Edna's - is it less sweet? more cheesy?

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%