Dummy Cake Question

Decorating By BJ Updated 23 Jan 2014 , 1:27pm by -K8memphis

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 1:46am
post #1 of 4

AWhat is the difference between styrofoam and styrene when using it for a cake dummy? is one smoother than the other? Is one heavier? I'm looking to purchase some for a wedding cake display. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 2:04am
post #2 of 4

idk i think they are interchangeable words--here's some info on it--http://hotwirefoamfactory.com/customer/gallery/faqfoam.htm

you don't want the pourous rough stuff you can get at hobby lobby--you want the smooth stuff like from

www.dallas-foam.com

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 5:27am
post #3 of 4

I actually prefer the "rough" stuff--which is floral foam [open cell]--rather than the pebble foam.  The floral foam is easier to cut, sculpt, and sand [you can use a scrap piece of it to sand it!].  They're what I trained on at Wilton and I love them.

I find them at Joann and use coupons.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 1:24pm
post #4 of 4

maybenot--yes of course--i should have said that i prefer the smoothy stuff----i cut my own and the rough stuff is not the best to use with my cutters so i should have made that distinction--i used the rough stuff forever actually then eventually i upgraded to nicer foam cutting tools and learned they work best with the smooth --

in fact like i just posted elsewhere--i have tons of dummies cut out sitting around waiting patiently for me--

and y'know the times when you have a layer of foam under a board--say for a skinny tall purse cake or something and you sink dowel into the board and through the foam--i think i'd still prefer the rough foam but...anyhow

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%