Wedding Cake With Football Coming Out Of Side

Decorating By keepsake Updated 24 Apr 2014 , 9:24pm by Mimimakescakes

keepsake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keepsake Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 36

I have a customer who wants her 4-tier wedding cake to have a football coming out of the side of her 3rd tier.  Although it's only 1/2 of the football, I can't figure out how to support the football.  Can someone help me?

35 replies
savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 36

Does the football have to be cake? Can it be styrofoam covered with modeling chocolate? That may make it easier to support. And if you were to put it "in" at an angle you could also use a long skewer to support it.

keepsake Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 36

I had planned for the football to be cake.  I hadn't thought using styrofoam.  I will check with the bride and see if she will accept styrofoam.  If I give her two price differences maybe she will choose the styrofoam.  Lol!  I had planned to use a skewer anyway, but I didn't know if that would give enough support.  Thanks so much for your comment, it really gave me some additional thoughts.

savannahquinn Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 36

If the angle was steep enough it could be cake - this is  a tricky one!  I hope others offer additional suggestions!

savannahquinn Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 3:24pm
post #5 of 36

Go to this web site:

They have a tiered wedding cake with a football coming out of the side.  just scroll down the page a bit.

Maybe you can ask them how they supported it, I think it may be exactly the kind of cake you were asked to do! Good Luck!

http://www.cakestudio.ca/wedding-cakes1.html

keepsake Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 36

That's exactly the cake she sent me.  It appears that their football was real cake and they give no hint on how they did that.  I have sent them an email to see if they would be willing to share information.

Thank you so much for your help!  God bless.

savannahquinn Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 4:04pm
post #7 of 36

LOL....let us know if you figure it out!   

keepsake Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 5:10pm
post #8 of 36

I heard back from the company, but no luck.  They said "Unfortunately, because this cake photo went "viral", we have kept this cake structure a secret, as we continue to use the same principles for other cakes."  I'll keep working to see if I can come up with something.  I think your idea is probably the one I will use.  I'll let you know.  Thanks again.

savannahquinn Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 6:31pm
post #9 of 36

That stinks! But I can understand their point....If I think of anything else I let you know...I'm a bit obsessed with this now!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 7:25pm
post #10 of 36

AMaybe they have some proprietary technique or maybe they don't. Maybe they don't want to announce to the world that they used foam or rice krispies. It could be hollow gumpaste. Since the ball is disproportionately large, in my opinion, this may point to it having been molded over a toy ball or that they obtained a football shaped foam piece rather than sculpting to size. In my opinion they had a whole bunch of gorgeous cakes, but I wasn't loving that one.

Of course it could also just be sculpted cake. I'm just saying there are a lot of ways to do this. I would also guess that if they want to keep it secret, it may have been super easy.

Anyway that's all just speculation. Best of luck with this.

savannahquinn Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 7:36pm
post #11 of 36

OK after a little more obsessing...I know the football is carved cake, but what if the tier is a dummy tier.  And it's less than 1/2 of the football sticking out.  So maybe with the football covered in ganache then fondant with a few really well placed dowels, it can stay like that? or you  carve out a section of the dummy cake so there's more football in the inside to stabilize the part that's sticking out.  Did that even make sense?

howsweet Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 8:35pm
post #12 of 36

It does make sense that since it says next to the cake, "Oh yes....we carved that football, to real size...thanks to my best carver...David"  Still not clear that it's definitely cake and not foam, but it sounds they were implying it was cake.

It's a cooler cake than I originally thought - here'sa picture with people next to it

savannahquinn Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 8:40pm
post #13 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by howsweet 

It does make sense that since it says next to the cake, "Oh yes....we carved that football, to real size...thanks to my best carver...David"  Still not clear that it's definitely cake and not foam, but it sounds they were implying it was cake.

It's a cooler cake than I originally thought - here'sa picture with people next to it

Howsweet....Hmmmmmm....you might be right!!!
lcubed83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcubed83 Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 8:44pm
post #14 of 36

Another "what if?"

What if the top half of the ball is cake, on a cake board, and the bottom half is shaped RKT or such?  That middle tier is double-height-  maybe the board is all one piece in the tier, then sticking out and supporting the football.

Keep us posted!

savannahquinn Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 8:49pm
post #15 of 36

The mystery deepens.....the ball definitely is just half of a ball, if you look at a close up of the picture, you can see the outline of it and it does not go into the cake....I'm still thinking its styrofoam now like

howsweet said.....to be continued!!!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 12:09am
post #16 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcubed83 

Another "what if?"

What if the top half of the ball is cake, on a cake board, and the bottom half is shaped RKT or such?  That middle tier is double-height-  maybe the board is all one piece in the tier, then sticking out and supporting the football.

Keep us posted!

That's exactly how I would do it. It would take a little planning ahead to get the sizes right, but it wouldn't be hard to do. The middle cake board on the taller tier on the cake would just have to extend over to include the board for the football, and that would be enough weight on the cake side  to keep the football there.  The football could very well be made out of rice krispies, too, just to make the whole thing lighter. Just becasue someone acts all mysterious about how they did it doesn't mean it was complicated! It usually just means they used something other than cake and don't want to admit it. ;)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 12:13am
post #17 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcubed83 

Another "what if?"

Keep us posted!

That's exactly how I would do it. It would take some planning to get the sizes right but it wouldn't be hard to do. The board for the taller tier on the cake would just extend over to support the football. The weight of the top tiers should be enough to keep the football up, but I'd be willing to bet that the football was made from rice krispies and they just don't want to admit it. Just because someone acts all mysterious about how they did something doesn't mean there's a trick to it, it just means that they used something other than cake and don't want to admit it ;)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 12:19am
post #18 of 36

i love that cake--it's the crumbs sprinkled around under the football that really set it off--

just an aside here--but ever see the golf commercial where the ball lands on a beautiful wedding cake (peach colored flowers/accents if memory serves)  and the pro comes in and blasts the ball and just creams the cake--very cool commercial!

keepsake Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 7:10am
post #19 of 36

You guys are so wonderful!  I had given some thought to the football being rice krispie treat as well.  That would make it lighter.  However, while I noticed the middle tier was taller, I assumed it was to accommodate the football and maintain serving pieces.  I hadn't thought of it being the styrofoam!!!! 

I think together we are going to work this thing out!!!!  Thanks so much.

jazzy3190 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jazzy3190 Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 7:23am
post #20 of 36

AMaybe the cake where the football is at has a dummy cake in the bottom for support?

Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 2:48pm
post #21 of 36

Maybe it is all a dummy cake?

keepsake Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 3:21pm
post #22 of 36

Jazzy3190 and Rosie93095 - Information on the cake makes me believe it is all cake.  Dummy cakes wouldn't interest my customer nor satisfy me.  For a display it would work wonderfully.  Thanks for your input.

JanDunlevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanDunlevy Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 4:05pm
post #23 of 36

AI would definitely use RKT! There are bound to be some kids at the wedding that would find that a thrill to eat.

howsweet Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 7:27pm
post #24 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by keepsake 

Jazzy3190 and Rosie93095 - Information on the cake makes me believe it is all cake.  Dummy cakes wouldn't interest my customer nor satisfy me.  For a display it would work wonderfully.  Thanks for your input.

What's the point of that?

And that's not what it said. They didn't say it was all cake, just that it was sculpted. I'm pretty darn sure only part of that is cake, it could be all cake, but not soft servable cake.  Fwiw, RKT and foam are sculptable, too. Foam is lightest and what I'd use.

I'm pretty sure your customer wouldn't want a crumbly mess, either. We are limited to what's possible in the physical world and we have to explain what can actually be done to our customers and not promise impossible things.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 9:33pm
post #25 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by howsweet 

We are limited to what's possible in the physical world and we have to explain what can actually be done to our customers and not promise impossible things.

Where's the like button I though we were getting on CC?

savannahquinn Posted 25 Jan 2014 , 1:06am
post #26 of 36

Ok so this may have been mentioned but....what if the middle tier had the cake separated by cake drums the same exact size of the cake.( like 2 of them alternating with cake)  Then you carve the football out of RKT and the supports/dowels are stuck in the cake drums.  I think that is how I would do it.    I can't wait until you make this cake!!!!

jazzy3190 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jazzy3190 Posted 25 Jan 2014 , 2:28am
post #27 of 36

A

Original message sent by savannahquinn

Ok so this may have been mentioned but....what if the middle tier had the cake separated by cake drums the same exact size of the cake.( like 2 of them alternating with cake)  Then you carve the football out of RKT and the supports/dowels are stuck in the cake drums.  I think that is how I would do it.    I can't wait until you make this cake!!!!

I was thinking something like that too

keepsake Posted 27 Jan 2014 , 12:58pm
post #28 of 36

Something similar has been mentioned, and the bride has said she doesn't mind if the football is RKT or styrofoam.  I'm going to try the RKT first and see how that works with cake before I go to styrofoam.  I want the tier to be cake, but I may have to go to a dummy cake.  I'll be sure to let all of you know how it turns out.  The wedding is in May so that gives me time to do "trial and error".  Thanks so much to everyone for your interest and ideas!

Sammy09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sammy09 Posted 23 Apr 2014 , 3:12pm
post #29 of 36

So how did it go?  Pics?

keepsake Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 12:05pm
post #30 of 36

Nothing yet, unfortunately.  I tried making the football out of rkt but still came out heavy.  This week I'll be testing by pushing that tier to the back to give a little more "ledge" to dowel and place the football on and.  I'm still working at it, but time is starting to run out!!!  Still open to any ideas.  Thanks, and pray for me!!!  lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%