Over Exposed Photographs

Lounge By Stitches Updated 22 Jan 2014 , 4:39am by scrumdiddlycakes

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 21 Jan 2014 , 11:07pm
post #1 of 11

Am I the only person who is sick of seeing a beautiful cake with that over exposed look that is blindingly light? Sheesh, I say ENOUGH!

It was a cool technique when it first appears but now I'm soooo over it! It's too hard on my eyes....how about you?

10 replies
SPCOhio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCOhio Posted 21 Jan 2014 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 11

AI am so completely awful at taking pictures it would be a pot/kettle situation for me to speak. Lol I need a real camera instead of my iPhone or iPad but that is an investment which must wait awhile. I have noticed the trend among portrait photographers, though, and I am not a fan. My own wedding pictures are a bit like that, but it's just as well since it hides a multitude of sins (I.e. I am also completely awful at doing makeup).

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 21 Jan 2014 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 11

Not sure what you mean, unless it's the bad photo in my current avatar.  Photo's are just the bane of my existence, and I don't think I'll ever achieve decent photos.

Stitches Posted 21 Jan 2014 , 11:39pm
post #4 of 11

An example, The Cake Blog posted Hello Naomi's cake this afternoon on FB. It's too light for my eyes.

I think she does incredible work.........but I sure would like to be able to see the cake!

rexygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rexygirl Posted 21 Jan 2014 , 11:58pm
post #5 of 11

AMy hubby is a photog and he hates his "trend" he is a total nut about the proper exposure (don't judge by my cake photos those are from my phone!) but I have to say I agree!

tarttokig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarttokig Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 12:25am
post #6 of 11

I totally agree! It's really a shame because you can only see the decorations but not the cake itself! It bugs me.... ;)

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 2:28am
post #7 of 11

Yes, I know exactly what you mean, and it's blindingly annoying!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 2:30am
post #8 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stitches 

An example, The Cake Blog posted Hello Naomi's cake this afternoon on FB. It's too light for my eyes.

I think she does incredible work.........but I sure would like to be able to see the cake!

Ok....lol. Now that particular cake is rough iced. Nothing to see here...move along people. Just look at the flowers and be on your way. :D But yes, overall, blinding!!

Stitches Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 2:36am
post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Just look at the flowers and be on your way.

I can't even focus on the flowers enough to tell if they are real or gp.........

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 3:05am
post #10 of 11

It reminds me of the gauzy photography done in the 30's & 40's on my favorite actresses like Marlene, Greta & Mae........ soft focus, over lit, shot through gauze..... No flaws, no lines......perfection for the imagination.

I'd love to see a Mae West themed cake.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 4:39am
post #11 of 11

I did a total of 7 dummy cakes for different photo shoots last Spring/Summer, I could only use pictures of 3 of them because of it. Even those ones are pretty brutal, made me so mad.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%