Need Help On How Much To Charge. Please.

Decorating By Rossana67 Updated 19 Mar 2014 , 12:28am by CWR41

Rossana67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rossana67 Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 4:38am
post #1 of 21

This is my first cake order so I really don't know what to charge. They want an Angel themed cake for 40 people. These are some cake pics ideas to show them with their prices . Am I charging too much?

~~1 Tier $100, 2 Tier $150 But with an Angel Theme

$65

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), default quality~~1 Tier $85 2 Tier $100

~~1 Tier $85 2 Tier $100

$90

20 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 4:53am
post #2 of 21

See the informaiton  in your other post.  There are many ways of figuring how much to charge.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 5:07am
post #3 of 21

Did someone tell you they think it's too high? If so, they are just wrong. I'm glad you cam here to ask.

If your work is similar quality to the photos, you're undercharging. I charge $50-65 just for the angel. The firl with the pig tails is a little more. $5 per serving base price plus anything else.

Anything else: Bows are usually $25-35.

Fifty cents a letter for the funky alphabet letters.

$5 for the trim upgrade.

Even more for the ruffle trim - maybe $25.

Ball trim adds about $10 per tier.

Big flowers on top of cake $12-$16 each.

Little flowers about 4 for a dollar.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 1:30pm
post #4 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi 

See the informaiton  in your other post.  There are many ways of figuring how much to charge.

We know it's a lot of work to learn how to price correctly. But if you do not learn this step, you'll be back here every time you receive a request. That might wear out your CC welcome. kakeladi gave you the best info. Good luck!

kakeladi Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 21

.............Anything else: Bows are usually $25-35.   Fifty cents a letter for the funky alphabet letters.

$5 for the trim upgrade.  Even more for the ruffle trim - maybe $25   Ball trim adds about $10 per tier.

Big flowers on top of cake $12-$16 each.    Little flowers about 4 for a dollar.........

This list is for *your* info, NOT to be read off to a customer :)

These are the things you need to keep in mind when quoting *one, single, final price* to customer.  Otherwise they will think they are being 'nickled and dimed" to death :(

Though I don't fully agree w/her 'pricing' it's important to thing about. I tended to charge the same for almost any cakes the same size, no matter how I decided to decorate  it.  In other words, if it was a 10"x4" cake it was $XX whether it had a bow, 6 names and ruffle border OR one name, and ball trim only:)

Again, a lot depends on the market price in your area.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 8:18pm
post #6 of 21

Right, you don't share all that with the customer!

Are you saying you charge the same for an 8 in cake with a giant bow as you do for one without one?

kakeladi Posted 21 Jan 2014 , 4:10am
post #7 of 21

Yes, I sure did :)

Granted I haven't sold but a few cakes in the last 5 years but that's how I did things back then in my shop.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 25 Jan 2014 , 12:13pm
post #8 of 21

A

Original message sent by helen4u

Hello, I visited your profile at (cakecentral.com) and I find out that you're the type my heart love, I believe we suit for real love, let walk that precious thing out for heart desire, I hope and believe we match for good. When contacting reply to my mail address ([email protected]) I am waiting for the love. I am, Miss helen

Bwahaha

Lookin' for love on a cake forum.

MimiFix Posted 25 Jan 2014 , 2:54pm
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godot 

Lookin' for love on a cake forum.

We yak about wedding cakes, so it makes sense ;-D

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 25 Jan 2014 , 3:41pm
post #10 of 21

AWhere do these freaks come from, anyway?

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 25 Jan 2014 , 4:15pm
post #11 of 21

A

Original message sent by helen4u

Hello, I visited your profile at (cakecentral.com) and I find out that you're the type my heart love, I believe we suit for real love, let walk that precious thing out for heart desire, I hope and believe we match for good. When contacting reply to my mail address ([email protected]) I am waiting for the love. I am, Miss helen

Lookin for love in all the wrong places, just seeing tiers and real ugly faces, blah blah blahhh

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 25 Jan 2014 , 4:20pm
post #12 of 21

Oh Miss Helen, where have you been all my life.  I have been searching for you as well.  Lets run away together.  Send me an email at [email protected]. Can't wait to hear from you.

And might I add, I don't normally go for women but your short, weird, unintelligible post just made me fall in love with you.

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 25 Jan 2014 , 5:06pm
post #13 of 21

AI got the same "love" letter from miss Helen, how weird is that?! Good luck Miss Helen!:grin:

Rossana67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rossana67 Posted 27 Jan 2014 , 4:15am
post #14 of 21

I got about 3 or 4 letter from her already. Some people are just looking for attention and they'll do anything to get it.

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 27 Jan 2014 , 3:48pm
post #15 of 21

Its not able attention, they are trying to run some kind of scam.

CakeAwake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeAwake Posted 28 Jan 2014 , 6:30pm
post #16 of 21

Geez, I thought I was Helen's one true love.

MimiFix Posted 28 Jan 2014 , 6:41pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeAwake   Geez, I thought I was Helen's one true love.

Wake up and smell the cookies, CakeAwake. You are history. I have accepted Helen's fine offer and she is no longer available.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 28 Jan 2014 , 6:44pm
post #18 of 21

Hey, you mean she's double timing me????

I thought what we had was real!

CakeAwake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeAwake Posted 28 Jan 2014 , 7:22pm
post #19 of 21

Curses MimFix! I see I have been bested by your superior knowledge of all things buttercream. I abdicate the undying love of Helen to your capable hands...sigh....

Babygottcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babygottcakes Posted 18 Mar 2014 , 9:14pm
post #20 of 21

Hi Ladies,

I have a request for a wedding cake for 100 ppl, they've stated their budget is only 150.00.  At first I was going to turn them away then I thought about doing to 1/2 sheets.  Then  my most recent thought is to do an 18 inch one layer cake with some minimal decorations such as rosettes.  I know an 18 inch cake will feed approximately 115 people.  Do you think 150.00 is a good price?

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 12:28am
post #21 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babygottcakes 

Hi Ladies,

I have a request for a wedding cake for 100 ppl, they've stated their budget is only 150.00.  At first I was going to turn them away then I thought about doing to 1/2 sheets.  Then  my most recent thought is to do an 18 inch one layer cake with some minimal decorations such as rosettes.  I know an 18 inch cake will feed approximately 115 people.  Do you think 150.00 is a good price?

I see you have your own thread elsewhere... view replies here:

http://cakecentral.com/t/769164/not-sure-what-to-charge-for-an-18-inch-cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%