Making Clouds With Fondant (And The Truth About The Center Pole! :) )

Decorating By serenaf Updated 20 Jan 2014 , 11:31pm by SystemMod2

serenaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
serenaf Posted 19 Jan 2014 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 40

Hello everyone! 

I was wondering if you can help me with fondant clouds. I generally pipe them with royal icing, but I would like to make them like these ones...can you help me? 

Oh, and while I'm here, I was wondering...do you use a huge center pole for 3 tier cakes? I took a course a few years ago and we used a huge center pole stuck with hot glue to the base board...but it was for a double barrel cake, and I'm not sure I should use the same method for 3 or even 4 tier cakes (i've never done anything bigger than 3 tier cake but I would like to try!!! )

thank you all so much for your help, this forum is a life saver! 

39 replies
howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 19 Jan 2014 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 40

Make little balls and cover with fondant. I stake from the top down into a thick base for 3 tier cakes. It's easier and just as good. I only use the method you referred to for cakes that can't be staked from the top down.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Jan 2014 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 40

Center pole?  pshaww.  SPS only.

serenaf Posted 19 Jan 2014 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 40

thank you SO much!!!

Leah, SPS is some kind of stand, right?I don't think I've ever heard of it...and definitely I wouldn't know how to use it!  I only use wooden dowels, is that not good for 3 tiers (or over?)

thebrat68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thebrat68 Posted 19 Jan 2014 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 40
howsweet Posted 19 Jan 2014 , 10:38pm
post #6 of 40

ALol because make some balls and cover with fondant is really complicated. I can't believe there actually a tutorial for that!

howsweet Posted 19 Jan 2014 , 10:44pm
post #7 of 40

ABtw, it was nice of you to find it and someone to make it, but it's like putting directions on a shampoo bottle. Lather, rinse, repeat. Is it really necessary? Anyone see Ellen's stand up act with her bit on that?

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 12:23am
post #8 of 40

Howsweet, I have seen the Ellen standup you are talking about and it is so super funny.

miniflowercake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miniflowercake Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 12:36am
post #9 of 40

I made this type of cake not too long ago! (That was the first time I covered a cake in fondant too, so the clouds and balloons were a lifesaver in covering the many cracks...) 

Here is my cake (it's really lumpy :oops:) - I piped the clouds on it and squished fondant balls for the clouds around the bottom. 

ballon cake 5.jpg

serenaf Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 11:10am
post #10 of 40

Thank you thebrat68 for that!

hosweet, I think there's no point in what you are saying whatsoever: the firts time you have used shampoo, someone showed you how to do it. Because you know what you are supposed to do with it now, it doesn't mean you always did. And also, if a topic is not interesting for you, there is really no need to leave a reply!

thank you all for your help!

serenaf Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 11:11am
post #11 of 40

well done miniflowercake, it will get better with practice, as everything (and for me too!) :lol:

leah_s Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 2:14pm
post #12 of 40

Read my signature line for SPS info.  I use it on every cake.  Its a support system, not a stand.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 3:12pm
post #13 of 40

In Australia and NZ people rely heavily on stake/center pole, and dowels only as auxiliary support. Of course their cakes are usually mud cakes and very heavy. Some people hot glue the pole, others have a whole system going on with a screw in the center. Most of the time, this goes on for any cake two tiers and up.

http://www.notquitenigella.com/2010/11/04/how-to-make-a-two-tier-wedding-cake-with-faye-cahill/

serenaf Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 3:52pm
post #14 of 40

imagenthatnj  in fact I learnt this at planet cake, in sydney! :) but I seem to remember we used this sistem for a double barrel cake, not for a normal 3 tier cake..maybe I don't remember well?!

leah_s yes I saw it, but I can't understand where is the page 15 of the sticky...it is only my second day in the forum, so I guess I still have to find everything! :)

leah_s Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 5:40pm
post #15 of 40

AThere are 33 pages in that Sticky.

serenaf Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 5:56pm
post #16 of 40

If I could only understand what a sticky is...and where to find it!! :detective:

leah_s Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 6:10pm
post #17 of 40

ALook at the beginning of every forum.

serenaf Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 6:24pm
post #18 of 40

I got it!!!! OMG it took me forever! thank you so much Leah_s :) :)

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 6:43pm
post #19 of 40

AOh dear, what happened? You pointed out the lunps, what happened? Does that usually happen for you?

AZCouture Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 6:45pm
post #20 of 40

AAnd nah, I don't use a center dowel, unless it's travelling a great distance or a customer is picking it up.

serenaf Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 7:01pm
post #21 of 40

thank you so much  AZCouture!

howsweet Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 7:51pm
post #22 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by serenaf 

Thank you thebrat68 for that!

hosweet, I think there's no point in what you are saying whatsoever: the firts time you have used shampoo, someone showed you how to do it. Because you know what you are supposed to do with it now, it doesn't mean you always did. And also, if a topic is not interesting for you, there is really no need to leave a reply!

thank you all for your help!

If having that photo and someone telling you that what they did was to make some balls and cover them with fondant isn't enough, I don't know what to think. It's like someone telling you how to shampoo your hair.

The current trend of people needing a tutorial for every imaginable thing is just a little much for me. As well as is the current trend for making a tutorial for every little thing.

AZCouture Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 7:56pm
post #23 of 40

AThere really isn't much of a sense of "study and figure it out" anymore. Tutorial for every little thing....not bashing tutes, but sometimes it is a bit ridiculous. I've been making clouds like that for years too, just kind of fooled around with some fondant one day and just did it.

serenaf Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 8:02pm
post #24 of 40

i get it, all I am saying is that I don't really care what you want to think, if the topic is not interesting for you, just don't look at it. I think this is very rude towards the person that took the time to find and post a tutorial for me. Anyway, that is the end of the discussion for me, as i don't see all this reason to be bitter!

howsweet Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 8:11pm
post #25 of 40
Quote:

i get it, all I am saying is that I don't really care what you want to think, if the topic is not interesting for you, just don't look at it. I think this is very rude towards the person that took the time to find and post a tutorial for me. Anyway, that is the end of the discussion for me, as i don't see all this reason to be bitter!

This is way over the line calling me rude and telling me what I should read or look at.  The person who posted the tutorial could have just as easily been thought rude for implying my description wasn't good enough.   Either way, it's over the top to even bring this sort of thing up.

serenaf Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 8:22pm
post #26 of 40

look, i really don't understand your point here. I am really gratefull for your explanation, and yes, I did understand what you meant without having to look at a picture  but that doesn't mean I can't be also gratefull for the fact that someone took the time to find a tutorial for me! what is the big deal? maybe she didn't see your explanation, so?! chill out!

howsweet Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 8:44pm
post #27 of 40
Quote:

look, i really don't understand your point here. I am really gratefull for your explanation, and yes, I did understand what you meant without having to look at a picture  but that doesn't mean I can't be also gratefull for the fact that someone took the time to find a tutorial for me!

Even though I did say to thebrat68 that, "it was nice of you to find it" and also that it was nice of the person who made it, to do so. I can see that it sounded a little like an attack on her post and I apologize to her for that. It really, really wasn't my intent. I have a tendency to see the forest and miss the trees, if that explains it. So I was thinking more about this annoying trend and less about anything specific on this thread.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 10:03pm
post #28 of 40

Welcome!

As to your first question about supports:  I use straws [large bore straws for milkshakes or bubble tea] as supports, not wooden dowels.  If a cake is going to travel by car, I put in a central "pole" if it's 3, or more, tiers.

Regarding clouds, I've done them in fondant by "mushing balls together", but I like the airiness of piped clouds and it's one of the few things that I'll whip up a small batch of royal for and use my biggest round tip.

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 10:46pm
post #29 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybenot 

Welcome!

As to your first question about supports:  I use straws [large bore straws for milkshakes or bubble tea] as supports, not wooden dowels.  If a cake is going to travel by car, I put in a central "pole" if it's 3, or more, tiers.

Regarding clouds, I've done them in fondant by "mushing balls together", but I like the airiness of piped clouds and it's one of the few things that I'll whip up a small batch of royal for and use my biggest round tip.

Welcome to CC serenaf!

howsweet Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 10:47pm
post #30 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybenot 

Welcome!

Sorry that so early in your time here you wound up with a hijacked thread and off topic responses about the definition of rude, etc.   My best suggestion is to ignore responses that don't directly answer your questions, ignore members who keep picking at the scab until it bleeds, don't feed the squirrels [they'll keep coming back and they often bite], and read, read, read--it's ALL here, somewhere.

Are you calling me a thread hi jacking, scab picking, biting squirrel???

Serenaf, in addition to what ever it was that Maybenot was saying, there are also a lot of people here who will say whatever you want to hear in order to be liked, who  care more about that than telling you what you needed to know (that doesn't apply to this thread). There are people who will pretend to be peace keepers or take the high road when all they are really doing is making thinly veiled jabs.

But most of us just want to help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%