Tiki Torch & Palm Tree For A Cupcake?

Decorating By dukeswalker Updated 19 Jan 2014 , 1:28am by Dayti

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 2:29am
post #1 of 5

I am trying to think of a way to make some 3D/stand up tiki torches & palm trees for cupcakes.  They can't really be be done the same way you would a cake.  Hmmmm..... Any ideas?

4 replies
Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 3:08am
post #2 of 5

AYou can make them flat from chocolate and stick them in, that's the opposite of 3d though isn't it.

Why not build them on a lolipop/cake pop stick? If they aren't super heavy they should work

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 5:20am
post #3 of 5

I'm fiddling with ideas....At the moment I have the trunks & tiki torches made on some longish toothpicks with 1/2 the toothpick showing so I can sink it into the cupcake.  They are turning out the right size & are thin enough to visually look good - I'm just not sure if I'm digging using a toothpick.  I've heard of people using raw spaghetti to hold things together - I wonder if being placed in a cake would soften it too much. Hmmmmmm....

By the way - thanks for responding. :)

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 19 Jan 2014 , 12:58am
post #4 of 5

Raw spaghetti will not be strong enough. Spaghetti is very fragile.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 19 Jan 2014 , 1:28am
post #5 of 5

I use spaghetti for figurines all the time and insert it into cake. Not once has anyone said the spaghetti broke or got soft... Having said that, a filled cake is usually slightly more dense than a cupcake, but then again, your toppers will likely be much smaller than you would put on a cake. I would rather use spaghetti than a toothpick in a cupcake, just to be on the safe side, and I don't believe it will go soft. It wouldn't be nice to eat, but would do less damage than a toothpick if it were to be swallowed!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%