From Scratch Or Cake Mixes?

Baking By kristyaaa Updated 16 Jun 2014 , 4:35pm by maisie73

catsmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catsmum Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 6:57pm
post #91 of 121

A

Original message sent by nannycook

OK, I've got that picture already in my head, dont think it would do gum paste John justice though, toga, sword,mmm, think its the sandals that me holding back, saying that as long as you dont give him socks I think I can cope, ha ha, you what they say with men with sandals and socks!!!

I'm nearly passing out reading this thread. Socks and sandals! Remember years ago in a B&B in Cornwall at breakfast with some work colleagues when the discussion on TV was about the typical Brit male on the beach. (Yes you know the one...and it was a long time ago... Hankie on head, shirt with rolled up sleeves, trousers rolled up to mid calf, sandals and socks (not white Maisie) dark with a diamond pattern on them. ) If he was really posh he kept his tie on. I was nearly on the floor laughing at this image when I looked across the breakfast table at my military colleague who was dressed in a very similar vein. Thank God he didn't have his trousers rolled up at breakfast. I fear the varicose veins may have destroyed my appetite.

catsmum Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 6:59pm
post #92 of 121

AJohn in a toga Nanny, mmmm! Making that UK cake decorators reunion sound very attractive. I may even volunteer to organise it. :-D

maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 7:57pm
post #93 of 121

AHahaha! That must be the posh Brit male on the beach catsmum, white towelling socks where I grew up. And as for military colleagues the RAF are obviously posher than the army too cos white towelling socks apply to all the squaddies I knew! Oh and a can of Stella of course!

nannycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 9:46pm
post #94 of 121

AYes to a reunion, can you imagine all of us, hilarious!!

candiandi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candiandi Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 11:49pm
post #95 of 121

AI have experimented for the past year with both. The best cake I can make comes from a box. I get so many compliments and people beg for my recipe. I tell them it is from a box but I made my own formula instead of following the directions. I ditched scratch cakes bc honestly they just weren't as good. Idk what it is about it I just couldn't find one I liked. Try making up your own recipe using a box if you aren't experienced. It is important to keep the same brands though of everything because one small change will make a huge difference. For example I use pudding in my cake. If it's not the same brand every time it always messes it up. Also, bake it low and slow and always freeze over night. Freezing always makes it more moist :) good luck!

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 14 Jun 2014 , 6:15am
post #96 of 121

That's a good tip candandi about sticking to the same brand, there could be a chemical reaction if you mix them?

Never thought of that.

cakebaby2 Posted 14 Jun 2014 , 6:23am
post #97 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by catsmum 

Thank God he didn't have his trousers rolled up at breakfast. I fear the varicose veins may have destroyed my appetite.

If you're interested in reproducing varicose veins realistically catsmum on your own gum paste figures I've found a mixture of Aubergine and Violet overlaid with just a touch of Hyacinth gives them that "ready for surgery"look. x 

cakebaby2 Posted 14 Jun 2014 , 6:24am
post #98 of 121

Hyacinth Blue..got distracted!

nannycook Posted 15 Jun 2014 , 6:28am
post #99 of 121

AHows gum paste John coming on Cakebaby? Toga on yet? Do hope so protect his manhood and all!

cakebaby2 Posted 15 Jun 2014 , 8:28am
post #100 of 121

I never even thought on the modesty nanny, to the pure all things are pure?

No it is more a health and safety issue is he's washing soapy dishes or gardening with sharp implements. For this reason I'm thinking of putting gumpaste Steve's little Doc Martins on him too...to protect his little feet.

Safety first, that's my motto. x

cakebaby2 Posted 15 Jun 2014 , 10:45am
post #101 of 121

I attended a 4th birthday party yesterday for my grandson at the other end of the country. Now my daughter and her husband are fairly affluent (the girl done good) and no expense was spared on the little tykes party.

I had heard about this cake, having been shot down in flames when I'd offered to make it some months ago,I couldn't complain since I'd always bought my crowd custom cakes when they had big guest filled parties.

I eagerly awaited the unveiling of this character creation.

I would bet the pension coming to me the creator of this cake subscribes to this forum so I will not describe it, suffice to say it was was 2 eight   inch layers of box mix sandwiched together by the meanest, whitest "buttercream" I ever saw, minus a crumb coat and covered in coloured fondant.

The topper, though accurately depicting the character was so basic one of the guests (4yrs old) replicated it with the fimo putty she received at the pass the parcel game.

My daughter shelled out £85.00 for this, I have no idea what that is in $ but it was nice work if you can get it.

And here's the thing, no one batted an eye.

So nanny, two £1.29 packs of Tesco cake mix, some white substance scraped between layers and enough fondant to cover an 8"cake and roll an accurate sphere for a topper could get you just shy of a ton?

nannycook Posted 15 Jun 2014 , 11:12am
post #102 of 121

AShocking, when ever I get to that point Cakebaby, the its time for me to hang up my pinny, so the cake that went out of door 2 mins ago was an 8" round rainbow cake, with hand made olaf, sugar shards, loads of snowflakes and 2 trees, didn't charge anywhere near that!!!

cakebaby2 Posted 15 Jun 2014 , 11:31am
post #103 of 121

Well I had mixed feeling may I tell you, a certain grudging respect for the cake shark, but how daft my daughter had been as well. It didn't taste good either, not bad exactly but exactly like my own experiment which wasn't worth even putting my homemade jam on let alone cream.

However, while there are clients around to pay without batting an eye.....that's what got me.

My daughter and her husband were reared on on homebaking, his mother won competitions and fetes her whole life but the kudos of putting on a custom cake outweighed the taste factor, neither of them liked the taste.

Must be good news for those who cant bake after trying a scratch cake for the first time and reaching for the packet?

maisie73 Posted 15 Jun 2014 , 12:02pm
post #104 of 121

A£85 for a box mix cake! Oh my giddy aunt! Before I started lurking on this forum it never would've occurred to me that anybody who makes cakes to sell would use a box mix! I just assumed they'd be from scratch, I'd feel ripped off if I paid for a custom cake then found out it came out of a box.

Btw cakebaby, please put sandals on gum paste john!

nannycook Posted 15 Jun 2014 , 12:03pm
post #105 of 121

ASo why didn't you make the cake Cakebaby?

nannycook Posted 15 Jun 2014 , 12:07pm
post #106 of 121

AI'm not an expert on box mixes by any means Maisie just get the general feeling it mordant about the look rather than the taste, maybe wrong dont know, but if its doesn't taste of nothing special whats the point?

What I dont understand is there are only 4 basic ingredients in a sponge, then obviously you add whatever you want, just my opinion though!

nannycook Posted 15 Jun 2014 , 12:08pm
post #107 of 121

ABut nooooooooo socks!

maisie73 Posted 15 Jun 2014 , 12:16pm
post #108 of 121

ASorry nanny, I vote for socks! Don't argue or I'll vote for varicose veins too! :-D

nannycook Posted 15 Jun 2014 , 12:20pm
post #109 of 121

AOK then, but I draw the line with the knotted hanky, ha ha, this cracks me up honestly!!

maisie73 Posted 15 Jun 2014 , 12:21pm
post #110 of 121

AHear that cakebaby? Socks and sandals for gum paste john, unanimous decision! Cracks me up too nanny! :-D

catsmum Posted 15 Jun 2014 , 1:47pm
post #111 of 121

A'T weren't me!

I'm with you a cake should not just look good whether decorated or not, but taste beautiful too.

White or diamond pattern?

nannycook Posted 15 Jun 2014 , 2:03pm
post #112 of 121

ANo Catsmum, no hanky please, have a heart!

maisie73 Posted 15 Jun 2014 , 2:04pm
post #113 of 121

ADefinitely white cats mum! :-D

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 6:48am
post #114 of 121

waiting......patiently.........where's Big John?? hmmmmmmmmm

do I have to tempt him and lure him in with alcohol.

nannycook Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 7:29am
post #115 of 121

AAlcohol, socks, sandals, sword and a toga? Anything else? Oh yes, forgot his knotted hanky!!!

maisie73 Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 7:33am
post #116 of 121

AThey're fab MB, I'm sure gum paste john will enjoy them.

maisie73 Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 1:07pm
post #117 of 121

ACakebaby I know you're probably busy in your cellar with gum paste Steve and gum paste john but I have a request for you. Can you make a gum paste Barbara to keep gum paste john company please. She needs to have rollers, a hairnet and be dressed in a nice new nightie!

catsmum Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 1:10pm
post #118 of 121

Naughty Maisie!!:lol:

maisie73 Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 1:11pm
post #119 of 121

AHahaha! At least I didn't ask for varicose veins! :-D

nannycook Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 1:33pm
post #120 of 121

AMaisie, no rollers, I keep telling you,no rollers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%